TV series

Comments

• Ottens wrote:
    Both films weren't even offered as a double-ticket in the cinemas! :(
    Same here. A typical example of corporate greed. Why show one movie when you can have two?
    Although they could at least have screened them back-to-back for double the admission price. But I guess they thought that would scare away too many cinema-goers.
  • Well a four-hour sit might have been a bit too much of movie for most people.... ;)

Oh a most frustrating sidenote, I just found out they're showing Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark on TV here. My frustration being due to me finding out only half-way into the film! :rolleyes:
  • Ahh, but that's okay. I asume it's a dubbed version anyway(?)
  • Oh no. Over here, films are subtitled.
  • edited May 2008
    You lucky bastards...

Really, dubbing ruins every movie and TV series. Unfortunately TV and cinema executives over here think we're too stupid to read (or learn foreign languages, for that matter)...
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark was on tv here last Friday, it's Temple of Doom this Friday :D
    My dad is taping it onto DVD for me (one day I will buy the box set, oh yes).

There's hardly any dubbing here in Belgium either. Well there isn't on the Flemish networks, there is on the French. I watch Dr Who in French on LaDeux (a French speaking channel) and then the new series in English on BBC1 like an hour later :)

I don't know how it was in the Netherlands, but Deathproof and Planet Terror were released months apart from each other here. I must admit I've not managed to see either movie, but eventually I'll manage to rent them both I'm sure.
  • edited May 2008
    (one day I will buy the box set, oh yes
    That's a long-term project of mine as well. Somehow I never get around to doing it although it isn't that expensive anymore.
    But the new one is first now anyway. Being a student of archaeology I'm going to watch it with the better part of all our institute. We're planning to have a release-party as well as going to the cinema together a few days later. A whole cinema full of archaeologists watching Indy IV, it's gonna be awesome!

Anyway, the problem I have with dubbing is that it ruins half of the actors work. A brilliant actor can sound like a beginner (and vice versa which isn't that good either). For example no German would understand you if you made a joke about Christopher Walken's style of acting because nobody here is familiar with his very own rythm of speech. Likewise nobody in Germany knows that William Shatner can't act!
    Furthermore it is impossible to discern any regional or social differences between characters.
    And some nuances are just untranslateable leading to confusing or outright false dialogue sometimes (a prime example would be Bart's one-liners in the opening credits of The Simpsons which you can read (in English) as he writes them on the blackboard while at the same time hearing the German dubbing which is usually full of mistakes even a first-year student of English wouldn't make).
  • I agree entirely on dubbing films and I'm very glad indeed that they merely subtitle English series and films over here.

Well, today was a very productive film. With no classes, I opted to watch both volumes of Kill Bill instead! How I adore Tarantino, Kill Bill is truly a masterpiece!
  • Ah, a wise decision indeed, Mr. Ottens. That is at the top of my favorite movie list.

As for the Indy films I own the boxed set. A boxed set of VHS tapes that is! Yes, I was raised on those films. Does anyone remember that time, before DVD even existed? Not to say those deluxe special edition DVDs they are releasing on May 18th don't look awfully tempting. They would be even more tempting if I didn't have but $1.42 to my name. That recently restored picture looks so very pretty.

Likewise nobody in Germany knows that William Shatner can't act!
    Oh Mr. Mathias I beg to differ! That man is brilliant, I say! James T. Kirk was the best captain Starfleet ever saw! No one can convince me otherwise!
  • The Lost Ark is indeed brilliant; definately in my top 10.

If nobody's mentioned them before, could I mention 3 steampunk films I've seen recently:

1st, Steamboy, a Japanese animation set in Victorian London. Good stuff, although it gets a bit bogged down towards the end. Some beautiful animation and machinery. In parts absolutely entrancing, but story is a bit weak.

2nd, Mirrormask, a British film set in modern Brighton, based on Neil Gaiman's work. Not entirely steampunk, and Very weird, but worth it for an incredibly creepy musical number sung by clockwork dolls. Strange, but intriguing.

3rd, A Gentleman's Duel, a short animation by Blur studios. This periodically appears on Youtube before being taken down, and can be bought from the Blur website. Very funny and some amazing steam mechs beating one another up. Some American viewers were offended by mild sexual references, so brace yourselves!
  • I really do like Mirrormask a lot. A Gentleman's Duel I've not seen yet, and I must admit that I wasn't keen on Steamboy. My brother Roel loves Steamboy though.
  • Mirrormask sounds like an interesting film to see! I'll endeavour to acquire it -- thanks for the tip!

A Gentleman's Duel I have seen and it's quite amusing indeed!
  • edited May 2008
    Likewise nobody in Germany knows that William Shatner can't act!
    Oh Mr. Mathias I beg to differ! That man is brilliant, I say! James T. Kirk was the best captain Starfleet ever saw! No one can convince me otherwise!
    Ah, but I jest. I am actually quite fond of his recent work on "Boston Legal". (But again only in the dubbed vesion)
  • Oh, Mirrormask is one of my favourite films! It is very brilliant and also incorporates some manner of cirquepunk, or whatever the denizens of the internet have decided to call circus inspired stories and garb...
  • Ah, but I jest. I am actually quite fond of his recent work on "Boston Legal". (But again only in the dubbed vesion)
    William Shatner is the man. ;)

And I do very much like his role on Boston Legal too, though unfortunately I have seen but a handful of episodes of the series. I don't think they ever broadcast it in full over here....
  • I really quite like Shatner playing Denny Crane, he's very good in that role.
    He was brilliant as Kirk too. Although I wouldn't go as far as calling him the best captain in star trek, I think Picard and Janeway were of the same standard, in their own way.
  • I never cared much for Voyager altogether, though Janeway was my favorite character on that show.

I grew up watching The Next Generation, so Picard is very much still "the" captain in my imagination, just like people who grew up watching the original show in the 60s will probably think of Kirk as the one and only. That said, I think Shatner's performance as Kirk in the six TOS motion pictures is excellent and on the same level as Stewart's role as Picard in First Contact particularly. Of the original series, I've only watched season 1 in full and I didn't find Shatner's acting that remarkable then.
  • Finally getting around to reading this thread.

I grew up on a combination of Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Monte Python. No wonder I'm odd. I haven't been able to get into the newer Doctor Who episodes, but that's partly because of the odd PBS broadcasting schedule in my neck of the woods. Tom Baker will always be the doctor of my heart, with Jon Pertwee a close second. (And did I just date myself there, or what?)

Firefly I adore - I just rewatched the whole season for probably the fifth time. I very much enjoy movies or series centered around anti-heroes, the bad guys who aren't really bad and can't help themselves sometimes, but just have to help people because they can't completely cut themselves off from their humanity. Prime example: Pitch Black, one of my all-time favorite films. That also ties into the love of the Firefly series, as well, and pretty much everything else Joss Whedon puts his hands to.

Another great film with futuristic steampunk elements: The Fifth Element. I mean, who doesn't drool over Gary Oldman's wardrobe throughout, plus the over-the-top stylings of Fhloston Paradise? Plus the big damn heroes element - win all around.
  • Ottens wrote:
    Picard is very much still "the" captain in my imagination
    Agreed! As hilarious as William Shatner is, Picard beats Kirk (at least in my books) any day.
  • My bf is a huge Sisco fan, personally I think that that series of Star Trek is one of the dullest. Granted it has it's moments but overall I get really quite bored with it very rapidly.

Mahariel: I grew up watching Monty Python as well, and Fawlty Towers. My dad is a huge Fawlty Towers fan, he still does his Basil Fawlty impression on a regular basis.
    And his G.I.R. from Invader Zim impression, but we won't go there haha.

The new Dr Who is really quite good, although I'm not entirely sure what to think of the latest development. (even though it's proven me right all along).
  • Mahariel wrote:
    Another great film with futuristic steampunk elements: The Fifth Element. I mean, who doesn't drool over Gary Oldman's wardrobe throughout, plus the over-the-top stylings of Fhloston Paradise?
    I definitely agree on the latter points! ;) Though I'm not sure whether I would call The Fifth Element "steampunk". It's been a while since I saw the film, so I may not recall some steampunk elements, but I'd say it's more cyber than steam?

I don't care much for Sisko either, though I did like Deep Space Nine a lot. It's a different kind of Trek entirely, but I like it's darker tones compared to the light-heartedness of The Next Generation. I just don't like Sisko. Some call Avery Brooks a great actor, perfect for the role, etc. I don't think he's that great an actor, and I'm pretty sure someone else could have done a finer job....
  • Patrick Stewart = favorite captain ever. How can you resist a man who quotes Shakespeare?

As for the Fifth Element, futurepunk, maybe? It's how in many ways I would imagine Steampunk progressing into a true space age.
  • Speaking of tv shows: who remembers the Lost World?
    That had some serious steampunk elements in it.
    http://www.lostworldtv.net/

I really miss that show!
  • I'm afraid they never broadcast that show over here, at least not to my knowledge, but considering that it was rumored that Professor Challenger would become part of Mina Murray's latest league of extraordinary gentlemen, I'd say there ought to be something steampunk about that!
  • I saw the film I'm not there about the life (or lives) of Bob Dylan, with several different actors, including Cate Blanchett!, and Heath Ledger, playing different parts in Dylan's life. Suffice to say, it's brilliant. I definitely recommend you see this film. I became a fan of Bob Dylan instantly.
  • In the realm of animation, Atlantis has some wonderful elements, with the robotic undersea monsters and ballooning.
  • I really liked Disney's Atlantis movies.
    But I vastly prefer Treasure Planet to Atlantis.
    Probably because it has space pirates though :)
  • Ottens wrote:
    I saw the film I'm not there about the life (or lives) of Bob Dylan, with several different actors, including Cate Blanchett!, and Heath Ledger, playing different parts in Dylan's life. Suffice to say, it's brilliant. I definitely recommend you see this film. I became a fan of Bob Dylan instantly.
    Oh, I've been looking forward to seeing this! I already like Bob Dylan's music, so it should be great no matter what.
  • I wasn't much of a Bob Dylan-fan before, but now that I've seen the film I've really developed a liking for a lot of his music!
  • A new series was broadcast yesterday: Surface. It's about different people who all come into contact with a "sea monster" in one way or another. Apparently, only a single season was shot (what is it with series these days, that they only make one or two seasons at most?) and though Surface is no masterpiece, I found it quite enjoyable. Besides, there's nothing better on at 22:30, Monday night, so I'll be watching this the coming weeks.