TV series

Comments

• Watched an old classic today.... the film adaption of Mutiny on the Bountry from 1962, with Marlon Brando! (Before he got old and fat.)

Though it took like three hours and was a bit "slow" to contemporary standards, the film was really quite enjoyable overall. The film details the history of the crew of the Royal Navy ship Bounty, on mission to Tahiti to get breadfruits which they are ought to bring to Jamaica where the plants are to be cultivated. The captain, however, is a bit of an overzealous type who likes to lash his crew at the slightest offense. Brando's character is the rather dandy-gentleman Lieutenant of the ship who ultimately stages a mutiny with the support of most of the crew. They sail for an island near Tahiti where to live out the remainder of their lives -- not quite happily ever after in the end, but I wouldn't wish to spoil it for anyone who wants to see the film.

What I liked most about the film, though, was to confirm again that Marlon Brando is the finest actor of all times! ;)
  • When it comes to movies taking place on a ship, I rather like Errol Fylnn's movies. I'm rather enamored of Errol Flynn in general, especially as Robin Hood. :)
  • I've fallen absolutely in love with the Hornblower mini-series. Readers of the "Book Club" thread might know that I've recently read C.S. Forester's Hornblower and the Hotspur (my first Hornblower novel!) and I was quite delighted to find that one of the last episodes in the mini-series was very closely based upon said novel. Indeed, I've now watched all episodes save the last one -- I was able to purchase the entire mini-series for just 20 euros!
  • I like a lot of things on TV, but I'm notoriously bad at managing to actually follow a series.
    With the sole exeptions of Torchwood and Dr Who.
    Long live the BBC!
  • Ottens wrote:
    I've fallen absolutely in love with the Hornblower mini-series. Readers of the "Book Club" thread might know that I've recently read C.S. Forester's Hornblower and the Hotspur (my first Hornblower novel!) and I was quite delighted to find that one of the last episodes in the mini-series was very closely based upon said novel. Indeed, I've now watched all episodes save the last one -- I was able to purchase the entire mini-series for just 20 euros!
    Bert and I own that as well, we paid € 20 for it too.

It's really quite good, although admittedly he's a much bigger fan than I.

We originally saw it on Canvas, and when I saw the box that cheap at Fnac I just couldn't resist (much to Bert's pleasure).
  • Ottens wrote:
    Regrettably, The Tudors isn't broadcast over here. I've read about it though, and I wish it were ;)

As for Grey's Anatomy, I suppose it is a bit of a soap opera at times, but it has good drama too, and great music!
    As far as I know the Tudors is only available on Prime in the low countries. My parents have that and my dad tapes all the episodes on DVD for Bert and I. So we do have the entire series aired here so far. Bert is a huge fan, I'm not that keen on it personally.
  • felneymike wrote:
    Doctor Who is back!

First episode was a little wierd, a traditional "soft" opener with character introducing to do (Donna from the 2005 Christmas special, is back) and strange, "cute" "monsters". Great spaceship though XD.

Second one was AMAZING! they where using the huge sets made for Rome in Italy, but it was set in Pompeii and featured a great mysterious storyline and lots of hints for the future of the series, in addition to a wonderful atmosphere, deadly monsters and of course the eruption itself.

Third episode is up next, was the first time the trailer for the next episode has looked LESS interesting than the one that has just gone. And as it features the return of the Ood from the "Doom" episodes of series 2 thats saying something XD. Still ought to be good
    You have NO idea how happy the return of Dr Who makes me!

I grew up watching Dr Who so I get very enthoused when the show is on. Especially if it contains Daleks.

I really loved the first episode, it made me laugh so much. The 3rd episode was my least favorite so far, but that's probably because I've never been much of an Ood fan. Give me Daleks as baddies any day :)

Personally I can't wait 'till they bring Rose and Jack back as companions, that ought to be good.
    Although I'd love to see what the Torchwood come up with as excuse for Jack sodding off yet again.
  • On Martha in Dr Who: I missed an entire season (for shame I know, but I'm catching up on it in French on LaDeux) so I only saw her in season 2 of Torchwood in which she guest starred 3 episodes.
    I swear: how the *bleep* did she survive in outer space? She needed saving all the bloody time. Not to mention that she wasn't actually adding to the show.

There's talk of bringing her into Torchwood permanently as their new medic and I sincerely hope they _don't_.

Mind you even if they do, I'll just keep the idea firmly lodged in my head that at least they didn't kill off Ianto (he's my favorite of the Torchwood team because he's funniest).
  • Ottens wrote:
    I've fallen absolutely in love with the Hornblower mini-series. [...]
    Bert and I own that as well, we paid € 20 for it too.

It's really quite good, although admittedly he's a much bigger fan than I.

We originally saw it on Canvas, and when I saw the box that cheap at Fnac I just couldn't resist (much to Bert's pleasure).
    I finally watched the last episode and I absolutely second your sentiments. One of the finest mini-series every produced, undoubtedly! :D

On a sidenote, might I request that you try to avoid double- (or triple-) posting. ;)
  • Let's see... I watch CSI (all except Miami these days), NCIS, Stargate Atlantis, and a few other shows like that. I also like to watch a lot of Japanese Anime. (ie: Bleach, Death Note, Eureka 7, etc.)
  • Ottens wrote:
    On a sidenote, might I request that you try to avoid double- (or triple-) posting. ;)
    I'm really sorry, that wasn't my intention, I just wanted to join into the discussion and reply to things said earlier.
  • Which is definitely encouraged! ;)

As for CSI, I'm really only fond of the original series, set in Las Vegas. I never cared much for the Miami spin-off, though I must admit I've not watched much episodes of that series. I rather liked the first season of CSI: New York, but then they seemingly changed the entire feel of the series. Where the first season had been rather dark, sometimes slightly depressing, and a bit reminiscent of old pulp detective stories, from season two onward the characters all appeared much less troubled suddenly, and the city much more bright! The series lost, in my view, what made it different from most other crime series.

Talking about crime series, I'm a big fan of Law & Order, particularly the earlier seasons of the original series, as well as Special Victims Unit and Trial By Jury (a shame they cancelled the latter). I never cared much for Criminal Intent though.
  • The magic of the original CSI (and the failure of the others) is what I like to call the 'Star Wars Dynamic'. You have (had, anyway) a perfectly balanced cast, kinda like the original 3 (aka 4,5,& 6) S.W. movies had.

Let me illustrate:
    CSI Vegas has Grissom = Ben Kenobi = Wise Advisor who isn't afraid to jump in when the going gets tough or sticky.

CSI Miami has Kane = Han Solo = Shady Good Guy who you're not sure you can trust and isn't a particularly good cornerstone to build a team on.

CSI NY has Taylor = (Older) Luke Skywalker = haunted Good Guy who's doing his best for his society despite the terrible things that he's seen/done that have aged him beyond his years far too quickly for anyone's good.

I could go on.... but I'll spare you. : )

Anyway, now that I've geeked out all over you, here's my list of good things to watch... though I will inevitably forget some:

CSI, Monty Python, Firefly, Good Eats, Dining on Asphalt, Iron Chef America, House, Wonderfalls, Family Guy, Futurama, Samurai Champloo, Red Dwarf, The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne, Neon Genesis Evangelion, the ORIGINAL Battlestar Galactica, Sliders, Eureka Seven, House, Space: Above and Beyond, Desert Punk, Farscape, FLCL, Any and ALL Doctor Who, Rome, Ed, Scrubs, SCTV, Saturday Night Live before 2002...

Yeah, I know there's a couple retro-throwbacks/terribly cancelled shows in there, but, hey, what are you going to do? Uncancel them?

(Please? Would you? ;) )

-C
  • I've always been wanting to see The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne. There's ought to be a steampunk appeal about it, but unfortunately they've failed to broadcast the series in my part of the world so far.

I saw two or three episodes of Firefly and though it wasn't bad at all, I didn't really get the hype about it. It wasn't that great a science-fiction series, now was it? (I hope I'm not commiting some act of blasphemy here ;))

Oh--and I absolutely love Rome too!
  • 'Doctor Who' of course is a must see, although Im not a fan of catherine wasername ....'Red dwarf' definately 'Rome' was truely splendid, as was 'City of Vice' {uk channel 4} a Georgian stew of famous literary figures, fabulous costumes and bloody crime scenes!
  • Mr. Ottens, I'd suggest you give Firefly a second chance. The series really must be watched in sequential order. Additionally, it gets much better as it goes on. If possible, I'd suggest you watch the whole series, it is only 13 episodes after all.

Don't worry, no blasphemy has been committed. However, I've never met a person who did not like the show after watching the entire series the whole way through.

I have the DVDs and I don't know how many times I have watched it, but I like it better each time I do.

Also, I have given the current series of Doctor Who another chance, as previously suggested in this thread. While I don't like it as much as earlier episodes, I admit it is entertaining.
  • Perhaps liking Star Trek makes me somewhat incapable of appreciating other science-fiction shows. ;)

As I said, only saw two (I think) episodes of Firefly and they were quite fun, really, and probably I would have liked it better had I seen all the episodes that came before and after. Perhaps I might see about acquiring all episodes after all.
  • *nod nod* Good idea.
  • I absolutely agree with Queen Aqua Bubble, Firefly is fantastic!

The movie "Serenity" which comes after the series is really good as well.
  • I watched Robert Rodriguez' Once Upon A Time In Mexico yesterday. A while back, I'd already seen the first half hour or so of it, so I welcomed the opportunity of enjoying it in full finally.

Rodriguez is, of course, an awesome film maker (and I don't like to use the word "awesome" much!). He directed the film adaption of Frank Miller's Sin City, made From Dusk Till Dawn, and worked with Quentin Tarantino on both films, as well as Grindhouse--though I haven't seen Planet Terror yet, much to my regret.

Now if Mr Rodriguez' directing skills haven't convinced you yet, the film stars Johnny Depp!
  • I adore Johnny Depp! He is without a doubt one of the most talented modern actors. Once Upon a Time in Mexico was very good. However, my favourite movie starring him is Benny and Joon. If you can find it, I highly recommend it!
  • I LOVE Benny and Joon (I have it on DVD)!
    It's highly underrated, which is sad as it's a fantastic movie.
    Sam is definitely one of his best roles, although I think my favorite remains that of Captain Jack Sparrow (but that's because I'm a HUGE pirate fan more than anything).

What I like about Johnny Depp is that he's capable of playing such a diversity of roles.
  • I'm afraid I've never seen Benny and Joon... Chocolat was the first film I saw with Johnny Depp in it and though I didn't care much for how they raped Alan Moore's From Hell with the film adaption, Depp's performance did make it more than bearable.
  • This great thing about Johnny Depp's acting ability is that no matter what movie he is in, he always does a wonderful job. The movie can be absolutely awful, but he is always very good.
  • edited May 2008
    Serenity was the best episode of Firefly, hands down.

(You'll understand after you watch it.)

A friend who is a fellow browncoat,an uninitiated friend, and myself all sat down for a marathon viewing of the whole series. It took us only 13 hours, I think, and the... err... crew roster changes were all the more emotionally impacting, I think.

And, Mr. Ottens, I disagree. I'm a hardcore Trekkie (as in, I have my own uniform... that's right. I admit it.) and I absolutely LOVE Firefly... I think my love of all the Trek series has given me a deeper appreciation of Firefly. Maybe it gives you more insight into the pioneer spirit... or a better understanding of the complexity of the personalities you come to love. Either way, a deep seated love of Roddenberry does not excuse you from Whedon's genius.

Going back to the Secret Adventures of Jules Verne, it most certainly did smack of Steampunk. I've been scouring the internet for it to no avail, but I'm ever hopeful that with the recent trend of "Hey, let's put this show out on DVD and see how many people buy it because they plain old forgot about it", I'm ever hopeful that such a Steampunk classic will soon be available to us once more.

And now, on to Johnny Depp.

The man is ridiculously and brilliantly versatile. Seeing him going from tender, loving, understanding, and eccentric (Benny and Joon) to having such a capacity for mental instability with a touch of sinister (Willy Wonka), and then round the whole thing off with a barking mad personality with a touch of hot sauce, grog, and hallucinogens (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas/Pirates of the Carribean) makes the whole teenage-girls-having-crushes-on-a-forty-something understandable. Yes. I admit it. I'm jealous.

As for Robert Rodriguez, as much as I love Sin City and From Dusk 'til Dawn (which is a whoooooooooooole bunch), I love his children's movies just as much. The Spy Kids series were pretty darn good... and anyone who lets his son co-author a movie (The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl) gets my vote for "Awesome Human Being"... not to mention that he turned it into a rather good flick!
  • Ottens wrote:
    I'm afraid I've never seen Benny and Joon... Chocolat was the first film I saw with Johnny Depp in it and though I didn't care much for how they raped Alan Moore's From Hell with the film adaption, Depp's performance did make it more than bearable.
    I actually liked From Hell a lot.
    Personally I think Inspector Aberline was one of Depp's best roles.
  • Agreed -- Depp's role was pretty good. It's how they ruined the plot from the original graphic novel that made the film rather disappointing.
  • edited May 2008
    Cheshire wrote:
    Serenity was the best episode of Firefly, hands down.

(You'll understand after you watch it.)
    Wait... are you talking about the episode "Serenity" or the movie of the same name?

Well, I beg to differ in both cases. While I can't say I actually have a favourite episode (probably "Jaynestown" because I tend to prefer the more humorous episodes of any series) I can't say the movie is the best part.
    While it is undoubtetly great it clearly showed the intent to tie together all the loose ends from the series (which of course is very laudable under the circumstances).
    The characters in the show had obviously been laid out for a slow development over several seasons (in typical Whedon style), a process which had to be sped up in the movie.
    The storyline didn't quite fit the feel of the show either. It just doesn't feel quite right that the crew should suddenly change the world (or the 'verse if you will) effectively bringing down the Alliance when before their main occupation were smuggling-runs and small time heists. (They suddenly become Big Damn Heroes, so to speak).
    Now, I don't say this isn't where Joss had originaly planned to go with the series (I'm pretty sure he did) but it just feels as if two seasons worth of story-arc had to be crammed into one movie.
    Ottens wrote:
    as well as Grindhouse--though I haven't seen Planet Terror yet, much to my regret.
    So they didn't release the two films as one item in the Netherlands either?
    I refuse to watch those films until they release a DVD entitled "Grindhouse" featuring both movies here in Germany!
  • Indeed they did not. Both films weren't even offered as a double-ticket in the cinemas! :(

So I only watched Death Proof, for that was before I developed a greater liking for Rodriguez' films. That said, I bought Desperado this afternoon (the second installment in his "Mexico" trilogy) and will be watching it tonight!