Star Trek: Picard

As much as I loved seeing Patrick Stewart back in the role of Picard, I was mildly disappointed in the series. The TNG call-backs were touching but also felt a bit like fan-service. Most weren't integral to the plot.

Picard, like Discovery, portrayed the Federation and Starfleet as bad actors when, to my mind, they're supposed to show that we really can have institutions that will do the right thing. The idea that the Federation would outright ban synthetic life, even after a disaster, just doesn't rhyme with the Federation we know.

In addition, we now have admirals swearing, former Starfleet officers killing in cold blood... It all makes Star Trek more like any other science-fiction show.

There were a couple more moments in the final episode of the first season that were let-downs for me, but I don't want to give spoilers.

On the whole: not great, not terrible.

What did everyone else think?

Comments

• I haven't seen Picard. I did consider it when I had a free month of Amazon Prime, but in the end I didn't because everyone was hyping about it like crazy. So I just started rewatching Discovery, again.

I LOVE Discovery. I am so excited for season 3. I will be the first one to admit that Discovery is utterly insane, the plot is often completely bonkers but I just really love the characters and everyone that knows me knows that I am usually there for an insane metaplot (if I wasn't I wouldn't be addicted to Simon R Green books haha).

Lorca remains my all time fave captain (with a tie between Pike and Kirk as close seconds).

I am going to leave it here, because I can legit not communicate my enthusiasm for Discovery without a bucket load of spoilers.

• Can't disagree with this:

[T]he idea that the grittiness of shows such as Picard makes it mature and relevant, while the ethos of yesteryear Star Trek is now naive or too old-fashioned to survive, feels misjudged. The hope, optimism and sincerity of the original 60s series was in itself a radical act: a way of portraying the future as it should be (a multiracial cast in a time of civil rights struggle; peace and cooperation in a time of nuclear terror), rather than merely wallowing in things as they were.

In the 90s, the darker spin-off show Deep Space Nine pre-empted Picard’s themes by 27 years, asking what happens when the principles of the Federation are compromised by war. The difference was that Deep Space Nine, much like the best of Star Trek, managed to balance its meatier themes of PTSD, faith and wartime atrocities with episodes where everyone got dressed up to visit a holographic version of 60s Las Vegas.

It is this, more than anything else, that is fundamentally lacking from modern Star Trek: a sense of tonal texture, a spirit of curiosity about different worlds and cultures, and the crackling chemistry of a warm and interesting crew.

• I will agree with everything bar that last bit, because as everyone knows by now: I am a HUGE Discovery fan.

• Terrible! Same with Disney Star Wars... same with Dr. Who. The industry seems to be imploding.

• I liked Picard a great deal more than Discovery. I thought it did the grimdark, gritty thing in a more balanced way, and was pretty good for the most part, despite the clumsy fanservice in some places. The finale was a bit of a letdown, I agree, but I actually enjoyed watching it.

The thing I was most bothered by was probably them killing off a character who could have brought SO much to the show in future. It's just wasteful. I think that is one of the things that characterizes modern Trek writing, to be honest. Wastefulness. Tossing things out for "impact" when with a bit more creativity they could do so much more with the characters or concepts.

• edited June 2020

I think it's short-sightedness.

They ask themselves, what was the most successful Star Trek movie? Wrath of Kahn. What defined it? Spock's death. So what we must do now is must kill off a major character as well.

That's not how it works.

Especially when so few deaths are permanent in Star Trek.

• Another good Picard review, which argues:

1. Excessive violence makes the series unwatchable to kids.
    2. Its unhopeful vision of the future is un-Trek-like.
  • Season 2 teaser reveals the return of Q!

And that's about it, other than hints at time travel, so too soon to make any judgements.

LeVar Burton says "maybe" Geordi will make an appearance in Season 2.

• Season 2 trailer is here!

Looks like the entire Season 1 cast is back, including Seven of Nine. Q and time travel appear to be involved, with hints of a "road not taken". There are also reports Whoopi Goldberg will make an appearance as Guinan.

• New Season 2 trailer:

So Q has returned Earth into a totalitarian dystopia and Picard and crew must travel back in time - conveniently our time - to repair the damage. Not exactly the most innovative idea...

• edited February 4

Well. time travle is a staple of Trek.

I just cant' say I've liked Picard, bar a few standout and outstanding moments. I like what they've done wit hSeven. I like that Riker and diana have been a healthy and happily married couple.

There is just this sense of bleakness to it all. this sense of joyfully marching this souless joyless thing out and wagging finger at the audiance while tutting 'If you are not like me this is not FOR you' and that sentement in the press leading up to picard is what I found the most repulsive.

Star Trek is neither 'right' nor 'left.' It is ultimately 'humanitarian.' It is of acknowledging our faults as that and hoping that we can overcome them whipe presenting said faults throug ha lense with just enough removal that people can realize 'oh god... that's me. Maybe I should try reevaluating things.' Rather than this grab the viewer by the back of the head and rubbing their nose in the carpet while gleefully carping on at how horrible they are.

To that i say 'you are shutting out the people who most need to hear encouragement that they CAN be better than they are and instead yo uare just stroking your own ego at your own supposed smug morality.'

Which is antithetical to Trek in my mind.

• Well said. I'm rewatching The Next Generation, and the contrast with the new Picard show is stark, and not in a good way.

• edited February 4

I want to hope Season Two is better. As I said Season One had moments that I ADORE.

Picard meeting Hugh. Riker and Diana.....

And meeting Data again.

That scene by itself. I never realized how NEEDED that moment was as it was saying goodbye to a very near and dear respected friend I am willing to put up with the rest, while still loudly damning it for not being at this level of writing, for that scene alone.