What are you watching?

13»

Comments

• edited February 13

Watching the second season of Snowpiercer on Netflix. (My review of Season 1 here.) Pretty good so far. It looks like they got more money for visual effects this time. More exterior shots of the train than I remember from Season 1. And a great addition to the cast: Sean Bean!

I'm also rewatching all seasons of The Americans, and I didn't realize until now that the actress who played Martha in that one is the same who plays Ruth in Snowpiercer: Alison Wright. (She colored her hair.) She's outstanding in both.

• edited March 4

Watching The Little Drummer Girl. Set in the 1970s, involving Israeli spies and Palestinian terrorists. Based on a Le Carré novel, so that's almost* a guarantee it will be good. Also: directed by Park Chan-wook of Snowpiercer fame.

* The Russia House was kinda disappointing. I don't think Sean Connery was a good fit for that one.

• The Little Drummer Girl was good! I recommend it.

Still watching Snowpiercer, but it's only one new episode per week.

Also found the second season of Occupied with subtitles. It's about a Russian occupation of Norway in the present day. So far, I'm not terribly impressed. The first season was a lot better. The second season is almost entirely about the people who are collaborating with the Russians - in government, the security services, and business. It gets a little tiring (to me anyway) to constantly see people compromise and make the same mistakes.

• Finished Season 2 of Snowpiercer, which is still going strong! Looking forward to the third season.

I found Season 2 of Occupied disappointing. The incredible premise of the first season -- Russia invades Norway at the behest of the EU -- plays an even more important role in this season, which makes the whole story hard to believe. As I mentioned earlier, the show's emphasis on the collaborators, as opposed to the resistance, is also tiring. I don't think I'll bother with the third, and final, season.

• Started watching a documentary series on Amazon Prime: The Challenge: ETA.

• Last night I watched the 2015 version of The Man From U.N.C.L.E, which was quite enjoyable - I watched it partially on this site's prompting.

• I have it on my Netflix watchlist for a re-watch. Loved it!

There's rumors of a sequel, but presumably without Armie Kammer (who played Soviet agent Illya Kuryakin), who has been accused by several women of sexual abuse.

• Watched the first episode of Halston on Netflix. It's kinda fun!

Also watching Showtime's The Reagans, currently on episode 3 out of 4. It's terribly one-sided, making Ronald Reagan out to be the tool of racist plutocrats and Nancy a tone-defeat socialite.

• Finally found a version of Deutschland 89 with English subtitles! It's the third and last season of the show, and it's taking place around the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

• Watched the second season of Lupin, on Netflix. Not as good as the first one, but still enjoyable.

• Kim's Convenience is on Netflix in the Netherlands! I had great great things about this series, and so far so good. It's really funny and heartfelt. I watched 5 episodes in a row yesterday.

Also watched Army of Shadows, the 1969 classic about the French Resistance. Review coming to Never Was soon.

• After Army of Shadows, I watched two more French movies:

1. Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle), by the same director - Jean-Pierre Melville. It's excellent. Slow burner, but worth it.
    2. Is Paris Burning? an American-French co-production. It's so-so. It has some great visuals, and an impressive cast, but the dialogue is at times ridiculous.
  • I watched Is Paris Burning? some months ago and loved it. There is such pathos in so many scenes - like when the French tanks come rolling into Paris for the first time in years.

The soundtrack is also gorgeous.

• True! The soundtrack was good. And it does have good shots. Maybe the dialogue is better in the French version.

Here's my review of Army of Shadows.

• Watched Melville's Le Samouraï. Even better than Le Cercle Rouge, I highly recommend it, especially if you're a fan of film noir. (Although it is in color.)

• Watched all five seasons of Kim's Convenience. Great show! Now I feel a little sad there isn't more.

Any recommendations for what to watch next?

• Watched Judas and the Black Messiah tonight - a brutal yet deeply necessary film. Enthralling the whole way through.

• Saw Jungle Cruise in the cinema. It's a fun movie! Review on the blog:

Also started watching Miami Vice. It's been on my watchlist for years.

• Saw Free Guy, starring Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer. It's fun! I knew Comer from Killing Eve. She plays a completely different character here. Quite impressive!

• Finally had a chance to watch Loki, which is great. Saw influences of Counterpart, which I think is the most underrated sci-fi show of recent years, as well as the Fallout video games.

• Saw Hitchcock's Rear Window this week, which had been on my watchlist forever. Good fun! Very... suspenseful.

Also saw a good Italian movie on Netflix: Romanzo di una strage, released internationally as Piazza Fontana: The Italian Conspiracy. It's about the country's infamous "Years of Lead". I'm writing a review for the blog.

Saw Dune in the cinema, which was excellent, but I didn't realize it was going to be the first of two parts. Gorgeously done, though. I definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen.

No Time to Die next, but the cinema's almost fully booked all week!

• Saw No Time to Die. Not bad, not great. I think Craig peaked in Skyfall. Curious what will happen to the franchise next, though. Another reboot?

Also watched a couple of Hitchcock classics recently: Strangers on a Train, which I didn't enjoy very much, and Rear Window, which is very good.

• Saw The French Dispatch. A lot of fun, but I agree with the reviewers it's not Wes Anderson's best. The Grand Budapest Hotel is still my favorite.