A European Steampunk Convention

2»

Comments

• OK thanks for the info. I'll lobby on.

The "rights" question is utterly silly and smallminded.
  • Hi,

I hope I have the right to post here although I'm a complete noob to your forum... please forgive me if that is not the case... (I came here through Jack's advertising on a German board). I'm an avid steampunk/-fantasy/-horror P&P player and reader, so I'd obviously like to see more action going on in this field in Europe :)

Location-wise the two cities that came to my mind immediately where Vienna and - even more so - Prague. Vienna is my home-base, so I might be a bit biased there ;-) but the flair of the city in my opinion fits steampunk well; also, it is well connected via trains and planes.

But even more than Vienna, I'd think Prague would be the ideal city. It is absolutely beautiful, the baroque and art deco buildings and places perfectly fit the steampunk idea, it's well-accessible (airport and trains), you can find good (and also stylish) accomodation for very reasonable prices (at least from a Western European point of view), many Praguers speak English very well (so no language problems for non-natives), and it seems to be a very open-minded city (so no raised eyebrows at a bunch of "nerds" running around in costume). Also, Prague was already a very interesting and famous city in the "steam period", with a lot of local lore that could be picked up for themes for a convention.

The Czech fantasy and gaming scene seems to be thriving - but sadly I'm not acquainted personally with Czech steampunkers. So I don't know how I could be of help here... I guess I just wanted to say: Prague!!!111! ;-)
  • Oh don't worry about being new (welcome!), you're more than welcome to post all over the forum!

And you're right! Prague would be a great idea!
  • Hey Miss Winterfield,

I've send you a private message already. I love Prague, too. The problem is: I have zero contacts there, which would make planning something there rather awkward.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay, I have to check here:

On the Dutch Steamgears forum it has been announced the con will take place in Luxemburg.
    I understood that Luxemburg was the only place that was confirmed yet, and that confirmation of events in other places is just a matter of time. Plus that all Europe-wide events were to be linked by internet-connections.

Now they tell me on Steamgears there is a "travelling con" that goes from one place to another. Now I'm confused. What's up? What is the source one has to believe? Who is the sole contact who holds all the strings?

There is a possibility my steampunk book is published at the end of september, so for me there is much more at stake that a "possible fun journey to Luxemburg".
  • It is gouing to happen in several places connected via the internet. ONE location is Luxembourg, another is very likely going to be Moscow and I think I will also do something in either Augsburg or Munich. In addition, there may be something in an old factory in Sicily.
    But please point out to the people on Steamgears that there will be several locations. And NO travelling. I can alos post something in English there, if nercessary.
  • OK, the Dutch I know almost certain won't organize anything at all, because it will be extremely expensive, costs a lot of time, all the good acts are already booked in Luxemburg or elsewhere, there's not enough steampunks to make it worthwhile, we've already have Castlefest and other excuses to do nothing about it. They will travel to Luxemburg.
    I'm deeply ashamed of the anti-do-it-yourself attitude here, and if everyone is in Luxemburg, it's no use organizing something on my own (and actually pay for the place, I had the Cruqius in mind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_De_Cruquius) for a tea-party-like event, but that's just too expensive when no-one will turn up due to "Luxemburg has all the good acts".
    Hopefully some other groups will pick it up in The Netherlands, but I don't know them.
  • No worries, it seems we have something going on in at least four countries and maybe the Mexicans and Argentinians are joining for a quick chat. If the Dutch are going to Luxembourg: Absolutely fine! :D
  • edited December 2011
    Everyone is going to Luxembourg apparently. Even Bert and I (although I'm not sure how that happened).

Anyway, as for the logo (I only saw that now, ah the joys of a laptop that displays _everything_), if you have something else then so be it.

I did mail you with some suggestions ages ago but never got a reply so it's probably for the best Mathias took matters into his own hands. At least you have a logo now.

And just so we're clear on this once and for all. I'm a graphic designer as well, I have a college degree stating I am so it must be true ;)
  • I suppose there aren't that many steampunks in the Netherlands to organize an event of their own. Luxembourg, moreover, isn't that far, especially if including the Belgians.
  • There's a lot more steampunk in Holland than you may think, Castlefest will be punked again.
    But it's useless doing an event with a bit Dutch steampunk literature in Luxemburg.
  • Everyone is going to Luxembourg apparently. Even Bert and I (although I'm not sure how that happened).

Anyway, as for the logo (I only saw that now, ah the joys of a laptop that displays _everything_), if you have something else then so be it.

I did mail you with some suggestions ages ago but never got a reply so it's probably for the best Mathias took matters into his own hands. At least you have a logo now.

And just so we're clear on this once and for all. I'm a graphic designer as well, I have a college degree stating I am so it must be true ;)
    Uuups... I just checked my inboxes (Google and Dailysteampunk) and found nothing.
    Sorry about that, Hilde, really. :(
  • In other news:
    We have four bands (Victor Sierra, The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, Ghostfire and BB Black Dog) and two Steampunk Bellydance Troupes (Nakari from Vienna and Ambrosia from Ljubljana)and several locations, now we need a budget. I am working on a video for IndieGoGo.
  • Belly Dancers, eh?

Need any help I can provide? >.>
  • Hmmm... What sort of help can you offer.
  • Belly Dancer wrangling.
  • Steiner wrote:
    Belly Dancer wrangling.
    Muahahahaha! ROFL! :D
  • :D
    But Srsly, I wish I could help somehow, but I doubt you need any of the meagre skills I can offer, so I can only wish you the best of luck!
    Depending on when this is, I'd love to be there; I've not been east of The Wash in too long and I've never been to a steampunk convention.
  • I've put the message out about the indiegogo, and messaged a couple of people directly to see if they can raise the word as well