A European Steampunk Convention

Hello everybody,

long story short: I have started making plans for a plan (yes, exactly) for a European Steampunk/Dieselpunk Convention. We need to get something going outside the US/CA and UK.
Tentative date is Spring 2012 at the earliest, probably later. I just wanted to announce this in case someone wants to help with the planning.

Comments

• That's epic!
    Where are you thinking about holding the con Marcus?
    I can always try to design a logo or somesuch if you like?
    You have my email right?
  • edited September 2011
    Hey Hilde,

actually, I don't know where, yet. I was actually thinking we could do it in severeal locations and hook up via streams (video, twitter, skype, google+ hang outs).
    Some friends of mine (mostly from Germany and Austria but also Pip Ballantine, the author of Phoenix Rising) have signalled their interest. We would probably have a location in the Frankfurt area and Vienna, but it does not need to be in a German-speaking area at all.
    I am posting a call on my blog and Lavie Tidhar will also post something on the WorldSF Blog.
    Let's see, right now it's the pre-planning phase.
    And YES, PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE design a logo. I've got the website URL already but there is nothing on it yet.
  • You have my email right?
    Drop me a line so we can plan it out properly so I know what you want exactly (or at least have a better idea) and then I can start drawing for you :)
  • edited September 2011
    I can't believe it! The people from http://www.french-steampunk.fr
    a) have responded and
    b) are interested in the project

*excitement*
  • Actually Paris has some really good convention centers. I don't know how expensive they are but there's villepins where they hold Japan Expo (amongst others) and then there's the Sequoia Lodge one of Disneyland Resort Paris.

That's the only ones I know of off hand, I'm sure there's tons more in France.
  • We have people from Norway! Yay!
  • Marcus I read the entry on your blog and I talk with a friend who lives on Spain, ¿What do you need exactly and how can someone put in contact with you if they want to be in?
  • edited October 2011
    Well, to me the French city of Nantes appears to be the appropriate place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne_Museum

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Mus%C3%A9e_Jules_Verne.jpg
  • European Steampunk Convention? This is very interesting.
    I'm from Italy I'll try everything to participate.

L.
  • I don't think I'll be able to help in terms of organization but whatever I can do to promote it -- let me know!
  • Hey Nick, I see, you put it on the Gatehouse visual blogroll, thank you! Maybe we could mention it in Issue 21, too?

@N. Inmunsapá, I've sent you a message. :)
  • Marcus wrote:
    Hey Nick, I see, you put it on the Gatehouse visual blogroll, thank you! Maybe we could mention it in Issue 21, too?
    Of course! Could you write a couple of paragraphs for our "News" page?
  • Consider it done!
  • Mechanurg wrote:
    Well, to me the French city of Nantes appears to be the appropriate place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne_Museum

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Mus%C3%A9e_Jules_Verne.jpg
    Nantes is EPIC and awesome! At least it seems to be from what I saw from it online (not been there yet, sniff). BUT and here's the catch, it's a bit of a bitch to get to :(

I still think that Villepins or even Disneyland Paris would be good places to hold it. Both have big convention centers, are easy to reach by public transport and the French scene is probably the biggest in Europe.
  • Great suggestions!
    Let's see what ideas the people from www.steampunk.fr have. And right now it looks like a multi-location event, since there are also people from Norway joining in :D
  • If the French are interested, would you like me to check out whether or not Sam or I could get discounts on the DLP (Disneyland Paris) convention centers? Just to get an idea of price? I'm not sure whether they offer discounts for AP (annual passport) or shareholders (in Sam's case) but it's worth asking should the French people be interested.
  • If the French are interested, would you like me to check out whether or not Sam or I could get discounts on the DLP (Disneyland Paris) convention centers? Just to get an idea of price? I'm not sure whether they offer discounts for AP (annual passport) or shareholders (in Sam's case) but it's worth asking should the French people be interested.
    Excellent! Please do.
    Could I have your regular address, too? I would like to send you send you some chocolate and fowers. ;)

And BTW: Why ia there no feedback from Belgium and The Netherlands? I thought there were quite a few Dutch steampunks out there, but except for you people and one friend from brassgoggles, nothing, just silence.
  • Well in Belgium the scene goes like this:
    The Walloon steampunks are with the French, so you have heard from them via the French.
    And the Flemish steampunks, which consists of god knows how many (I'm guessing less than 20) spread over the place that bump into each other at conventions. If I bump into them at Facts I'll be happy to spread the word. Bare in mind that our steampunks at convention record is 8.

As for the Dutch, I have no clue. I pretty much only talk to you guys on here these days, I'm not much of a people person.

I'll email you my regular address, email me yours too! :)
    I'm still thinking about an epic logo.
  • I don't know if there's a big steampunk scene in the Netherlands. If there is, I haven't noticed it.
  • Hmmm... Too bad. There are a few Dutch on Brassgoggles, though.
  • Hi there from Holland!

As fas as I can see, the Dutch "scene" is large enough to organise things themselves and they hook up with larger fantasy-, goth-, and pagan evenets such as the Elf Fantasy Fair (which hosted a "steampunk camp" last september). Their focus is on making stuff, dressing up and play their role (Cosplay). See the Steam Gears forum. Once the plans for Eurosteam got "hands and feet" I can inform there.

Then to the Place to Be. I'd say: let's see where people come from, then pick a place in the middle of it all that is good accessible by planes (larger international airport) and trains (stop of trans europe nighttrains and/or highspeed trains). From that point of view, Nantes is a bad choice.
    I don't know if a con-in-many-places is a good idea. If you want it that way, be sure to get a place with excellent technique available. I think Museums and Disneyland are not quite suitable for such an event.

When I think about possible spots for such an occasion, my mind wanders of to:
    - The Hague (Netherlands). Has infrastructure for international meetings in all sizes. Beautiful city with a "steampunk" feel due to many Jugendstil buildings. Same goes for Brussels (Belgium), which has better access to international transport.
    - Munich (Bavaria). Very central in Europe.
    - Geneve (Suisse)
    - and something less well reachable: Charleville Mezières (northern France), the atelier of mr Eifel.

For a Europe-wide con, you need at least two days of activities. And thus a place for people to sleep in. From my experience, renting a few bungalows in a holyday-park is both cheap and comfortable, with enough privacy for families.
  • edited October 2011
    As it appears now, there may be something in France, Germany and Spain. And maybe we put the German and French one together in Luxembourg, but this is only one option.
    IThe Hague also is an option, especially once the UK people get back to me.
    I have to get into closer contact with the French and Spanish guys, and I shall do this hopefully tonight or tomorrow, when my jaw stops throbbing.

I am missing two teeth and am less wise now than before.
  • I sure hope you'll get your two front teeth back this christmas! And the loss of wisdom explaines a lot. However, I'll try to get a reaction from other Dutch.
  • Yaghish wrote:
    I sure hope you'll get your two front teeth back this christmas! And the loss of wisdom explaines a lot. However, I'll try to get a reaction from other Dutch.
    Oh my word...

No, it was two teeth right at the back, wisdom teeth, to be exact.

And some more news: Two replies from Spain and one from Cambridge. Things are moving!
  • I've contacted friends in the German speaking realms of Europe and told them of this idea.
  • As far as I know, there is a European Steampunk Con discussed on Facebook. I'm not really at ease with the facebook, so I find it hard to discover who is behind that. Is that you guys?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/EuroSteamCon/187444791332522
    Their website is at http://eurosteamcon.com/Euro_Steam_Con.html

From the Dutch front there is some interest. But especially concerning a larger steampunk meet (a "place") at the Castlefest Fair, which will be held, I think, at the start of august 2012 (they usually celebrate the pagan festival Lammas on Castlefest). Those involved would like to know wether the "Smoking Lounge" initiative is the same as the "EuroSteamCon" initiative.

Whom can I contact to exchange mail addresses? It's better if those who handle the coordination communicate without me, because I hardly have the time for such things.
  • It's the same projects. You'll want to contact Marcus about it.
  • Should have mentioned this earlier:

Two weeks ago, I was contacted by the lawyer of the people behind Steamcon in the US and informed they had the legal rights to "steamcon" in the US and "eurosteamcon" would be too similar, I should therefore change it or they would consider legal steps.
    I told them, the thing is called "eurosteamcon" not "steamcon" and I have the rights for "eurosteamcon" in Europe, which they do not have, there was neither a challenge nor an infringement to their copyright.

Well, the official way of writing is now EuroSteam Con, to make it absolutely clear, the stress is on eurosteam and not on steamcon. What is it with these people? Is there something in the water over there?
  • Seriously? That's a bit small.

Ah well, I like the sound of "EuroSteam" too.
  • My Austrian friends have come forward with a suggestion for a logo:
    http://steam-heart.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4dzcz9

@Hilde They did that independantly, Matthias was unaware you are working on on, too. He just thought he could do it since he is a graphic's designer.