Trains of Steam

A lovely collection of paintings of steam trains was just posted over at the Russian livejournal community, Behold the Power of Steam:

a47GG1NVulnRqO3H1QbGhyG3EuH7kFynTDbfabUVspjHGW2ppQ97P-0dKs4ZUe18VXNXFPoVfZnNrW4lEilJKwXUDEUms00SFT3LOeiFo8mLHdykDzV-oOun4gGuSHkA0iIhKx9MC_bDZ5Es4PY84g

Click here for more.

Comments

• There's some truely lovely works there. The first one out of that series is my favorite.
  • You might want to check this out ( http://www.5at.co.uk/ ), the new thinking about steam trains for the 21st century.
  • That's pretty cool! Not only because it's steam in our modern times, but because a train like this reminds me of retro-futuristic art:

5at12jsmr9.jpg
  • You might want to check this out ( http://www.5at.co.uk/ ), the new thinking about steam trains for the 21st century.
    That is cool.Love it how they didn'tdo too much to alter the appearance of thetrain - itstill has the classicgood looks.
  • Gorgeous paintings. The bright colours remind me a little of Thomas the Tank Engine
  • Here's another pretty cool train. I don't know what kind it is though. It was posted HERE but the text's in Russian. All I can decipher is "1937" so I presume that's the year the train was built/photographed...

expressgo7.th.jpg
  • edited October 2008
    It was photographed by Arkady Chaiget. The train seems to be one of his more famous motives. His other pictures might be somewhat disturbing. See Google, copy the name APKA... and the word after that and google the images.
  • Thanks for the name! This page has lots of his photographs up also. Contrary to the work displayed on the website you gave, these seem mostly intended to idealize Soviet life, with many pictures of parades and tranquil urban life.
  • From Plan59:

national_paint_1949_train_1.jpg
    From 1949, someone’s idea of a clever slogan for the National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association. (Although we suppose that when you’re the National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association, you take what you can get.) Much more memorable in this ad are the visuals — a striking polychrome locomotive painted by Andre Durenceau, who, not surprisingly, at one time worked for Technicolor.
  • I know it's a modern train, but it's arriving in the pretty Art Nouveau central station of Antwerp :)

182213912_71f2d5d120.jpg
  • That "advanced steam train" thing sounds fascinating. Though as i prefer DP and Progress i'd prefer a big broad-gauge, 300mph Maglev which merely looks like a 50's steam train XD. (that's one of the swoopier, faired-in designs anyway).

There was also some story about steam engines on the local news but the girl turned it over before i saw it. It was called the Tornado though... i think it may have been a new engine built out of old spares... or just a restored old one.

Quite a few steam lines around Britain still run, i beleive one of them even started (after privatisation) to be run as a passenger service as well as a tourist attraction, though it's on it's own line not shared by other trains and only has about 3 stops, mind. Still it's a very "titfield thunderbolt"-style story of people doing thier own thing
  • I'm somewhat of a model railroader (tons of equipment but no layout yet). Most of my collection is steam era. The 2-8-2 Mikado and 2-6-6-2 Mallet are my favorite locomotives.
  • edited October 2008
    For those in the UK, there is the GCR which runs from Loughborough, and well worth a visit/trip. They serve Sunday lunch on the train, and have specific events. http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/

And you can drive the trains!
    http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/datex.aspx
  • Oh that sounds wonderful!
  • From the Viewliner Ltd. blog.

socalrr3lw3.th.jpg socalrr6ex1.th.jpg

1970's Southern California Railroading

jd46ow0.th.jpg

"Pennsylvania Railroad GG-1 at the Lehigh Valley connection at Meeker Avenue - Newark, New Jersey, January, 1951."

jd37ok0.th.jpg

"Pennsylvania Railroad EMD F7(A) at the PRR engine facility - Renovo, Pennsylvania, August 18, 1956."
  • I've got some :)

2998522449_df3524764a.jpg

2999590802_ef58f7e3ab.jpg

2998750007_49e88dc020.jpg
  • I love that poster!

The train itself seems just a little too much like a toy train, though I suppose that does suit Disney.
  • More snaps from Portugal

The fernicular railway tunnel in Porto
    Porto048-1.jpg

One of the Portuguese trains
    Porto052.jpg
  • edited November 2008
    @ Nick: I do agree that it needs a repaint in different colours, but at least it's a steamtrain :)

@ the good Dr: those are wonderful!
  • Very dieselpunk-ian, Doctor! Hilde suggested that I should ask that you write an article about "Steampunk in Portugal" for the Gazette, so hereby ;) I'm not sure if there's much steampunk in Portugal, however, many "dieselpunk in Portugal" could feature that train there!
  • Will do, my good sir!
  • I'll give you access to our secret Gazette forum so that we may discuss it further.
  • The keys to the kingdom? Hope I don't lose them!
  • I'm sure you won't, though if you do, there will be punishment. :P
  • I'll set Merlijn loose on anyone that looses the keys to the Kingdom! (and yes that is punishment, he's singlefelinely terrified all the jehovas witnesses around these parts, they avoid our house like the proverbial plague now).

2851221688_b83fc87cc3_m.jpg
  • I forget whether or not I posted my video of my Grand Canyon trip, including (the apparently last season of) the Grand Canyon Railway's steam engine. Here it be: http://www.video.ca/video.php?id=104141623
  • From Retro Futurism. Not exactly a train of steam, it seems, but a lovely illustration nonetheless.

post8871226914265if2.th.jpg
  • I dunno'... It looks like a streamline steam train.
  • Could be, I'm not sure. I just figured it was a diesel, because it looks so streamlined as you say.
  • A great collection from Lord K's:

74510827gx2.th.jpg 77847212ug5.th.jpg
    The Coronation Scot.

90489768ky5.th.jpg
    Don't know what this train is...

31873995ze3.th.jpg
    Photo from 1945.

50847278ck8.th.jpg
    Photo from 1946.