Texas Centennial Exposition

Wikipedia wrote:
The Texas Centennial Exposition was a World's Fair held at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas (USA) to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Texas's independence from Mexico in 1836. More than 50 buildings were constructed for the Exposition, which ran from June 6, 1936 to November 29, 1936, attracted over 10 million visitors, and cost around $25 million.
This website has some great period photographs of the Fair, while a Mr "Atomic Glee" posted a nice collection of modern-day pictures of the same buildings in this thread.

"Then & Now"

webw1978033010rvd5.jpg 257844242c2b92e4f9ebry1.jpg
The Federal Building.

257856970375cbf7e24bcu6.jpg
Detail.

257882536f9aa7ed017bpu8.jpg 25788740787fd4c27c9byc5.jpg
Some lovely sculptures.

webw1978033010oca9.jpg
The Fair at night.

Comments

• This is why my country should see a return of Empire Day. the closest thing to that since the fifties is probably the milenium dome, which I just can't bring myself to discuss.
  • Ah yes what a dismal affair that is. Quite repulsive.
  • I might offer to buy it for ten pounds (it's all it's worth) and turn it into a go-karting/lazer-quest center.

But yes! Texan centential! rather. I',m liking the decco towers and 20s take on the classical Orion
  • Thank you very much for this post. I can't believe that I spent a large part of my life in Texas (High School, College graduation, and early refinery career) without ever knowing about this Expo.

I feel especially ashamed since I have been to the Dallas Fair Park (specifically to watch the University of Texas VS Oklahoma Football games at the Cotton Bowl Stadium) twice without researching any of the history.
  • Lovely architecture! Oh, and that mural with the lightning bolts and the man in the big cowboy hat is awesome :D
  • Steiner wrote:
    This is why my country should see a return of Empire Day. the closest thing to that since the fifties is probably the milenium dome, which I just can't bring myself to discuss.
    well, to be fair, we in the U.S. of A haven't had much in this vain since the 64 worlds fair in N.Y. The last time we had a world's fair, the only thing it yielded was the sunsphere. Definitely not an accomplishment.
  • Jus wait for the disaster of the 2012 Olympics, James - I may have to emigrate...