'Diesel' Music?

Or should tht be period?

I was thinking, what constitutes to music in this genre? When I'm working on the jeep I usually have something fitting, to help me think of the 40s and 50s. So I have some Glenn Miller and other 40s favorites, classic jazz too, and for something a few years more modern; the Beach Boys (The epitome of the 50s/60s summer, no?) What do you think is classified as music of the genre? :)

Comments

• I suppose 1920s and WW2 era Jazz would be appropriate. I'm playing BioShock now, and that game has some nice music. Space Captain Toby actually posted a link to a music collection from that game a while ago, in this thread.

Other than that, I'm not really sure.... So mostly Jazz ;)
  • I suppose 60s music would be height-of-cold-war, so would that be 'Atomic' punk?
  • Perhaps Beat music is somewhat too cheery for the more dystopian diesel-/atomicpunk?
  • I love Jazz, especially experimental avant-garde Jazz :)
  • I'd disagree Ottens, to an extent, as it depends again on the extent to which the setting is dystopian. If we count Indy 4 as dieselpunk (not sure whether we do or not, more Pulp, no doubt?), it opens with up-beat 50s music as those kids in their chevy pass the rooskies.

I know if I were writing somekind of mid-cold-war 'atomic' era thing, it'd make some reference to the prevailing western culture of the time.

And yes. Jazz is good!, though I prefer classic and contemporary Jazz to the more avant guard stuff.
  • I wouldn't think Indiana Jones particularly dystopian. Indeed, 50s beat music and the like would fit that setting perfectly. However, in a world where WW2 is still being fought as some sort of prolonged Cold War, I'm not sure whether such music would become very popular.
  • But it did in the US/USSR Cold War. Culture moves on even in a Cold War, though it may well have taken a different turn. Also, the concept isn't restricted to the cold war you describe surely, but any kind of 'dystopian' plotline resulting from the War, or postwar era up until a ceertain date.
  • That's true. I had thought the more cheerful music of the 1950s a sign of celebration and relief over the end of WW2, but it may well have been a reaction to the scariness of the Cold War at the same time.
  • Aye, like the andrews sisters, Colonel Miller and Vera Lynne's music was for the Blitz
  • Wagner would fit, I think. And since the cold war is mentioned, that was a war between east and west and the east part of music should not be forgotten. I do think Nautilus Pompilius would fit in there, even though the music is more modern than the cold war.

Music like this might fit as well. Very punky sound effects.
  • Necromancing this topic it seems.

La Mer/Somewhere beyond the sea seems to fit the genre, and if I recall was part of the Bioshock Sountrack.

Now, can someone with good french skills enlighten me?

Is 'Somewhere Beyond the Sea' a direct/close translation of La Mer? or is La Mer about the love of the sea and the Bobby Darren song about a lover beyond the ocean?

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/l/lamer.shtml
  • Steiner wrote:
    Necromancing this topic it seems.
    Thread-necromancy is always a good thing.

As for La Mer or Beyond The Sea, it seems the lyrics are quite different. He's my attempt at translating the original French text:
    That one sees dancing along the clear gulfs
    Has reflections of money
    The Sea
    The reflections change
    Under the rain

The Sea
    With the sky of summer confuses
    Its white moutons (I think that means "sheep" but it doesn't make much sense.)
    With the so pure angels
    The sea shepherdess of azure
    Infinite

See
    Close to the ponds
    These large wet reeds
    See
    These white birds
    And these rusted houses

The Sea
    It is rocked
    Along the clear gulfs
    And of a love song
    The Sea
    With rocked my heart for life
    Here's a music video of Trenet's Le Mer on YouTube, by the way:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ksiFrib7vh0

I'm more fond of Bobby Darron's version though:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=m8OlDPqYBLw
  • Thank's Ottents you've solved something I've been curious about for some time!
  • I will be putting together a compilation of dieselpunk-related music or simply music fitting to the scene, from varied sources - some modern and some old, it is to rival an already existing comp made by a dieselpunk fan who used a lot of 80s mod tracks. Will post more once I'm done with the article ;)
  • I look forward to seeing that Piecraft.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one with a playlist on their Media Player which could be described as Dieslepunk.
  • I was thinking od putting together volumes from other fans - so we could have Piecraft's Dieselpunk vol. 1 and then Steiner's Dieselpunk vol. 2 :) and eventually make a torrent file or downloadable from here perhaps? I was going to name the comp Dieselpunk - 'Musica Futurista Enharmonica'
  • I pretty much just take my que from channel 4 on XM Radio and the http://vitaphone.blogspot.com/ blog ^_^

Let's see what I have on my "oldies" playlist...

Louis Armstrong
    The Dorsey Brothers
    Maurice Chevalier
    Al Jolson
    Benny Goodman
    The Sons of the Pioneers
    Duke Elington
    Edith Piaf
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Wilf Carter
    Chester Gaylord
    Glen Miller
    Les Brown
    Paul Robeson
    Roy Rogers
    Paul Whiteman
    Vera Lynn
    Waikiki Hawaiian Orchestra
    Woody Herman
    a whole bunch of just random things picked up off of compilation (to the tune of about 260 songs), some Disney soundtracks from the 1930's and 40's (Snow White, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Song of the South), and for something modern retro, the Puppini Sisters.
  • I love Jazz, especially experimental avant-garde Jazz :)
    Agreed! I love experimental/progressive jazz and other experimental/progressive music (like metal or rock) with jazz elements. Classic jazz is also good - it makes me feel like I'm living in my grandmother's era :)

Piecraft, I can't wait to listen to this compilation of yours!
  • Indeed, that's something to look forward to!

There's some names in your list there Cory I like to. Piaf, Fitzgerald, Duke Elington... they're all good. Vera Lynn and Louis Armstrong too, though I don't care much for Glen Miller. Other names I'm not familiar with though, so I'll try and listen to some of those!

Some more to consider:

* Nancy Wilson
    * Sarah Vaughn
    * Django Reinhardt
  • Jazz is good. There is of course also some excellent blues / boogie / bluegrass appropriate for different decades in the dieselpunk universe.. there is a bit of a gradual transition in music throughout the first half of the 20th century. It seems like every decade has its own distinct sound.. :)
  • i shall be incorporating music that in my view represents the "soundtrack" to a dieselpunk setting, so from futurist compositions, to some new jazz, blues and original soul, very early experimental and some slight rock/electronic as well as remixed war anthems and classical with a sprinkling of musique conrete and ambient here and there. I hope it shall not disappoint - expect some new and old artists on the list ;)

And I look forward to continue this but with other memebrs making up their own comps :)
  • Win..

I need to find myself some good music, see if I can find enough to come up with a decent DP track list. I don't usually listen to music from the era, so i don't have a whole lot in my collection just yet..
  • Cory and Ottens's lists, pretty much sum up my 'dieselpunk playlist', with some Chevaleur alongside the Pulp and Crosby alongside the Sinatra and the Rat Pack. And of course, Charles Trenet's La Mer.

Throw in the Soviet National Anthem and a few from the War Movies, and tere you have my collection. Mines' not worth a volume, thinks I piecraft, when you'll be doing all kinds of complex alterations and reworks and other phrases I don't understand, but I look forward to the result!
  • I've been listening to quite a bit of Swing lately, Artie Shaw is good, I like Vera Lynn and Glenn Miller too. And on the "other side" i like the epic Soviet and Chinese communist anthems. Some Italian fascist music is good too, such as Giovinezza (the unofficial national anthem whilst Musso was in power).
  • Which reminds me, there's a lot of great music in BioShock. I remember having a list somewhere of all the 1930s and 40s songs that were put into the game, but I'm afraid I lost it for now....

The soundtrack of the game's pretty great too.
  • edited August 2008
    I remember playing Mafia back in the day, there's some nice Swing in that too, which is what "got me into" the genre though i've only recently begun actively buying stuff XD

Oh and "March To Doom" from the original Command & Conquer is a great militant anthem, which can be found for download on numerous sites...
  • I would definitely like a download of that soundtrack, Piecraft.

Personally, since I tend to get a great deal of my music from video games, believe it or not, I have a few weird associations. I simply can’t get enough of the soundtrack for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (available for free at http://stalker.filefront.com/file/STALKER_Official_Soundtrack;79030), which, despite being outside the era of dieselpunk, has what I believe to be the perfect mood accompaniment to an industrial-age apocalypse.

I also like to think that some of the music David Lynch has composed for his recent films, particularly Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, would also fit into the genre quite nicely, but so far I have yet to track down any soundtrack albums.
  • oddly enough Trubetskoy you pretty much brought up some great examples of the type of stuff I'm compiling for the playlist :)
  • I'd like to put my hat forward for Ivor Novello :)

"...And Her Mother Came Too" (from the Gosford Park soundtrack, sung by Jeremy Northam):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipVj5H7ULBY

I like my little ditties. Noel Coward and whatnot.
  • I can't think of Noel Coward any more without thinking of Hugh Laurie's hilarious song; 'Little Girl'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raRQilFcriw