Steampunk Accessories

Well the goggles have been covered, and while they are most definitely a definitive accessory for steampunk, there are many other accessories that will really steam up an outfit or provide the finishing toutch.

What are your favorite accessories with steampunk outfits and costumes?

Mine are:

My pocket watch.
Which I got very cheaply off eBay

2423669628_3bd61dd734.jpg

My pocket watch bag, which goes on a belt and keeps my pocket watch nearby and safe :)
I made it myself with some left over denim.
(for denim is sturdy and I rather use scraps then throw them out)

2326734703_914c167923_o.jpg

My steampunk heart ring, which I got from the seller MsBojangles on etsy:

2366507981_f58d93ae65.jpg

And last but not least my tankard straps, because I can hang my goggles from them on my belt if I don't want to wear them on my head.

Comments

• I absolutely love your pocket watch! What a perfectly beautiful accessory indeed!

And I'm quite charmed with the little bag you made for it!
  • Why thank you kindly Mr Ottens.

It's one of those cheap Chinese wind-up's, but it serves me well so I don't care much about it's origins :) I only paid about € 15 for it shipping included (I bought it via a British seller).
    If it breaks I'll salvage it for parts to use in other products :D
  • I actually purchased that same watch - it came pre-sprung (someone overwound it!) though that would be a relatively easy fix I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of repairing. Regardless it's pretty swish and has a good look, though I prefer my plain sterling silver one for day to day.
  • yes, pocketwatch! I have two but both need a new battery. Next time, I'll have an "automat" that runs without spring and without batteries, but I haven't found a pretty one yet.
    Of course, pocketwatch goes into waistcoat-pocket.
  • I actually purchased that same watch - it came pre-sprung (someone overwound it!) though that would be a relatively easy fix I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of repairing. Regardless it's pretty swish and has a good look, though I prefer my plain sterling silver one for day to day.
    I overwound mine. It does cost more to have it repaired then just getting a new one. I got a Narnia pocket watch instead of a new mechanical one. Not because I'm a Narnia fan, but because it's made by Fossil, and those are really good watches. I grew rather tired of having to replace my cheap watches every couple of months :(
    (which was rapidly becoming more expensive than buying one proper pocket watch that won't fail me)

I need to take pics of my new watch now!

I do have pics of my steamy wristcuff though :)

2496884886_62edc73ffd_m.jpg
  • Why that's lovely indeed! A little too new-fashioned to be entirely "Victorian", and therefore perfectly steampunk!
  • Thank you kindly sir!

And it fits over my fugly wrist support or wrist brace, so I don't have to worry about those mucking up pictures anymore :D
  • I'm collecting oddments, to go with the two personalities I bounce between.

For the airship pilot:

A miniature spyglass - extended, it's about 5" in length, collapsed it's half that.
    miniscope-3.jpg

And no pictures, but I've acquired a Sam Brown belt and a brown leather pilot's helmet.

For the Lady Scientist, this interesting purse:

wood-purse-2.jpg
  • I love that lady scientist purse! I'm always considering buying a doctor's bag, but I dislike bags that I have to hold in my hands all the time so I always think the better of it in the end.
  • The miniature glasses are quite lovely and indeed perfectly befitting of an airship pirate!

Might we compel you to take a photograph of your recently-acquired leather pilot's helmet, for I'm quite curious about its appearance (though I'm sure it looks splendid!)
  • What a purse! Wherever did you find that lovely thing?
  • What a purse! Wherever did you find that lovely thing?
    Found it at a local St. Vincent de Paul thrift store.

I'll try to get a picture of the pilot's helmet this weekend.
  • No pictures yet of the helmet, but here's today's lucky thrift store find:

boots.jpg
  • edited June 2008
    Pretty boots!
    I found my steampunk boots and my bf's at Shuh ^__^

Bert's

2558620908_72be19fd0c_m.jpg

mine:

2495993825_0ea4db941a_m.jpg
  • Two of my favourites:

Gearrings
    IMG_0384.jpg

Boots
    IMG_0453.jpg

I need new photos of my goggles, though. I've repainted them to be more brassy since I last took photos.
  • "Gearring"? I think you have just invented a new word!
  • Hmmm, I was pretty sure that the jewelry designers at TSF have been using it for a while. However, if I recall correctly, I was the one to suggest it all those months ago...

Mahariel and Hildekitten, you both have lovely taste in boots! Boots are my favourite type of footwear :D
  • I love boots, I couldn't imagine my life without them! (bar when they hurt my feet of course)

Gearrings has been around for a while now Ottens, I've heard it on lj the first time a couple of months ago, but it remains a most excellent word :)
  • In that case, I suppose I should frequent the more fashion-oriented communities of steampunk more. ;)

Still, I'd prefer to attribute the invention of the word to the Colonel here.
  • Absolutely, I fully support the Colonel's claim as inventor of gearrings as well!
  • I simply can not live without the following items:

My wrist braces, One plain leather (Soon to have something put on it) And my watch band, which is about 4-5 inches wide fits nicely around my wrist, and holds a watch with a tachymeter on it that looks quite good. (I intend to mod this a little to look like a vortex manipulator)

My Vest, my god I can't live without my vest.

And Cargo pants.

As for shoes, Chucks work quite well for me.

Oh yes, and I absolutely adore carrying a cane.

Sincerely,

SFC (Professor) Delphinius "J.C." Tucker
  • A cane! I'd get one if only they weren't so expensive.
  • I found these wonderful umbrellas online, I think they're quite good :)
    Nothing wrong what so ever with staying dry in style!

http://www.hdueo.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/96 : compact umbrella with steamy clock print

And a links for pagoda/Edwardian umbrellas and parasols:)

http://www.brolliesgalore.co.uk/
    http://www.hdueo.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/24

I bought a black pagada umbrella with orange pinstripes (there wasn't exactly much choice, and it'll match all the brown ^__^) off ebay last week, but sadly it has not arrived yet :(
  • Ottens wrote:
    A cane! I'd get one if only they weren't so expensive.
    Any style you're looking for in particular? I could keep an eye out when visiting local markets and stuff. canes don't pop up too often, but sometimes interesting things do appear for not a whole lot of money.

Last year a bought a cane for my brother made of pieces of polished water buffalo horn. Each section was about 15cm long and the whole thing screwed together beautifully. If I recall correctly I paid 450 Baht for it, about 10 euros..

Then there is my own dragon cane, I bought some months ago. It is hand carved out of teak wood. It's a big ol' beast, longer than most canes and with a big carved dragon head on top. I have some crappy pictures of it here, here and here. I am pretty sure I paid 300 or 350 Baht for it, so that'd be about 6 or 7 euro..

I'm not going to be here much longer though. I'm heading back home in just a few more weeks. But hey, if you'd want I'll keep an eye open and see if anything comes along in the meantime.
  • Just make sure you don't get a cain that's too short for you, then you can't lean on it rakishly. The result is far less than desirable!
  • akumabito wrote:
    Ottens wrote:
    A cane! I'd get one if only they weren't so expensive.
    Any style you're looking for in particular? I could keep an eye out when visiting local markets and stuff.
    Not really, actually. Now, whenever the weathers allows it, I just use an umbrella instead. I doubt I'd use a cane much, so I'd really only buy one when I happen to come across something cheap yet elegant ;)

Speaking of umbrellas, I feel most of those at the pages Miss HildeKitten posted may be either slightly too feminine or simply too cheerful for my tastes. Boring as it may be, I prefer a simple black umbrella, with a wooden handle.
  • I bought an Edwardian parasol/umbrella today!
    A shop in Louvain had them in cream, grey and black (I got a black one) for € 23 *happy*

My friend Tom has made off with my top hat, which I had decorated with a black belt of mine. I hope he realises I'll be wanting that belt back (not necessarily the hat, it's 4 sizes too big for me so I can't wear it anyway haha).
  • My black Edwardian umbrella with orange pinstripes:

2661378589_1def9ac213_m.jpg
  • Are there online stores which sell bowlers that are reputable (e.g. a purchase has been made from them and the product/service interaction was good)? I've been looking for a good bowler, but am a bit apprehensive about purchasing online.
  • My black Edwardian umbrella with orange pinstripes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2661378589_1def9ac213_m.jpg
    As I mentioned in the other thread, that is one lovely umbrella indeed! ;)

I'm afraid I don't have much (read: none at all) experience with purchasing clothing online, Mr Fabre. Indeed, I rather buy at shops where I can fit it on before buying--even when it comes to hats.