The Steampunk Wardrobe

edited April 2020 in Steam
Hello everyone,

I thought it would be a fun idea to have a place where we can show our steampunk costumes and outfits to each other.

So here it is :)

I would start off with posting pics myself but I have a question for our admin first.
Ottens would it ok to post slightly bigger (500 pixels) pictures in this topic? It's just that with smaller pictures a lot of details in outfits tend to get lost.

Comments

• This forum seems to automatically shrink images so it doesn't stretch the page too far for anyone. That may just be my end and my modified firefox, but I think any image size should be fine.
  • If you insert images wider than 350 px or so, the forum automatically cuts off the right part of the pics. I recommend Imageshack to upload pictures; it allows you to resize them to a width of 320 px.
  • I suggest a compromise with the forum lay-out :D
    We post our pics in the 350 tops photos with the url to the bigger versions (if people have those) underneath. That way we can still go look at photos in a detail showing size :)
  • edited April 2008
    The costume I wore for Funiversum, a really crappy anime and assorted convention in Louvain (Belgium)

2411218824_57035bca14.jpg

2411212140_1121c32449.jpg

It turns out the forum doesn't have much problems with these photos being in 500 pixels :)
  • My costume from Elf Fantasy Fair

2430926488_75c6d369f6.jpg

I've got more photos of that in my steampunk set on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/houseofsecrets/sets/72157603973720180/
  • You're also able to include links in images. Use the following code:

[ url=http://..... ] [ img ] http://.... [ /img] [ /url ]

As for your outfits, I'm particularly fond of your footwear! I regret that I'm rather ignorant with the name of the things one wraps around one's ankles, but they make a perfet addition to your outfits. I'm also fond of the blue jacket you wear in the second photograph. Overall, your dress is not extremely steampunk (no steam-powered levitation boots or anything like that ;)) which I rather like, for it is further testament to steampunk becoming more mainstream -- which surely is a development we should all welcome!
  • Those, my dear Ottens, are referred to as spats. They are, as the name suggests, for keeping spatterings of dirt off your shoes.

Hildekitten, I really like your outfits - especially the grey and black one!
  • Spats, indeed! Why, thank you very much :) I didn't even know the Dutch word, so that's why I couldn't look it up.

I believe people should wear more of those. Spats, that is.
  • I don't think there is a Dutch word. And if there is it's probably something really quite silly that isn't quite as good as spats :)

The blue jacket was bought in H&M literally AGES ago (it might even has been as far back as 2001).
    I've made pretty much everything else myself.

Personally I think it's pretty steampunk, it's just not the standard type of steampunk outfits for women one expects :)
  • I think a friend of mine might actually have that same jacket in red. I know for a fact that she bought it at H&M too, but only two or maybe three years ago.

I definitely label your outfits "steampunk". It might not be of the Neo-Victorian "lady"-category, but more of the "mad scientist/girl genius" type of steampunk. ;)
  • I love the victorian lady look, but I've got to be realistic, I'm very klumsy and I'll just fall over my skirt all the time haha :)

H&M can be really quite good for stuff to incorporate with steampunk outfits and costumes. I got this black cap there for less than € 5 a few weeks ago (they had them in brown too) which is perfect for steampunk outfits :)

It's amazing how much stuff shows up in mainstream shops where you wouldn't expect it.
  • Someone over at "Steamfashion" posted a link to this:

militarycoatsburberryprjp8.jpg

Military uniform-inspired men's clothing by "Burberry". Now I'm sure one might be able to craft a nifty steampunk outfit out of some of those! Perhaps slightly more "dieselpunk", though, and not particularly suitable throughout the coming hot summer months...
  • A peek at Ralph Lauren's spring collection reveals a deja-vu with the Roaring Twenties!

Click here
  • Yeah I saw those two, there's definitely a lot of steampunk influence in there.
    Only for the better really, catwalk translates to high street and high street means lots of stuff available for those looking into expanding their wardrobe for cheap.
    I saw quite a few shoes in several stores that can be worn with steampunk outfits as well.

I bet it'll be something else entirely next season mind you.
  • Oh, I like the footware! Maybe you started a nice fashion revival of those.
    In Dutch it is "overschoenen", and my dictionary also gives "galosh" for the English word.
    Dit you make them yourselves?
  • See I knew spats was going to be better then the Dutch translation :)
    And yes, I made them myself :)
  • edited May 2008
    2512446486_9b4f2eea88.jpg

The very casual steampunk outfit I wore to Indy 4 earlier tonight :)
    I made the shirt, bloomershorts and waistcoat myself. The boots are from Schuh.
  • Lovely! :D I don't suppose many of the remaining movie-goers were dressed so in perfect style as yourself?
  • Thank you :)

Nope, they were all dressed in the usual standard spring stuff.

Lots of people were staring at me, with the release of Hellboy 2 I plan to go in full steam, just so see how badly they stare then haha (as you probably noticed, I don't mind people staring and find it amusing).
  • Very dapper! I like the waistcoat.
  • Thank you, I made it myself :)
  • Lots of people were staring at me, with the release of Hellboy 2 I plan to go in full steam, just so see how badly they stare then haha (as you probably noticed, I don't mind people staring and find it amusing).
    Why that's the greatest part of dressing up! I love to make people stare, and I plan on doing just that this weekend at an anime convention. Cosplay and elegant gothic lolita clothing galore!
  • Last night we hosted a fancy dress encouraged party, and here is my outfit for the evening:

couple.jpg
  • I love the white shirt you're wearing :)
  • An attractive combination of something of an airpirate-lady and the more casually dressed aristocrat. ;)
  • Thank you both!

The picture doesn't do the shirt justice - the sleeves are actually pleated at the shoulder, and end right a the pouf at the elbow, and it has a quadruple row of ruffles on either side of the buttons.
  • Not me, but the steampunk outfit of a Dr. Jonas Mortimer Renfield:

Protection_from_the_Elements_by_velvetgoldmineee.jpg
  • Hmmmmm, looks like a very scene steampunk to me, although I adore his goggles.
  • Hmmmmm, looks like a very scene steampunk to me, although I adore his goggles.
    I like the goggles, but I'm not keen on the colour combinations of his clothes and accessories and the obvious household scientist gloves. And I really dislike that bandana. If you want to wrap some cloth over your face there are much better options out there.

I think the idea behind the outfit works, but the execution could be vastly improved.
  • On closer scrutiny, I must concur with the shortcomings you perceive. I'm not too crazy about the goggles, nor about the gloves which are quite ugly. The overall outfit though, with the coat and the bandana, I do like. However, I wouldn't wear the bandana all over the face.