Elections in Germany

Federal elections will be held in Germany in September. Angela Merkel, in power since 2005, is not seeking a fifth term. Most polls still put her center-right Christian Democrats in first place, but the biggest winners look to be the Greens.

I thought the Christian Democrats would stand a better chance with Markus Söder, the conservative prime minister of Bavaria, but they've nominated Armin Laschet, the more centrist prime minister of North Rhine-Westphalia.

As for the Greens, I wrote a story for the Atlantic Sentinel this weekend looking at their rise. I think two factors explain their popularity:

1. A good leader who stands out between Laschet on the right and Olaf Scholz, the Social Democratic Party leader, on the left. Both are men and are in their sixties. The Greens have nominated the forty year-old Annalena Baerbock.
  2. A desire for change. The COVID-19 pandemic has called conventional wisdoms into doubt, not in the least Germany’s reluctance to borrow and spend. The effects of climate change are starting to be felt in Europe, with summers getting hotter and flooding and storms becoming more frequent. The Greens have answers to these questions. (Whether you think they're the right answers is another matter.)

Click here to read the whole thing - and please share your thoughts on the German election in general!