Elections in America

The 2020 elections are only three months away! (Assuming Trump doesn't get his way and the elections are postponed.)

Polls point to a big win for Joe Biden and the Democrats - which is what I'm rooting for. I supported Mitt Romney in 2012 and I would have liked to see a Jeb Bush-Hillary Clinton contest in 2016, but the Republican Party has become worse in all the things I didn't like about it (socially conservative, against immigrants, prone to authoritarianism in the name of "law and order") and largely abandoned the things I did (free enterprise, free trade, pro-NATO, anti-Putin).

It's why I think Republicans need to lose decisively. The party now has more in common with the European far right than it does with center-right parties, like Britain's Conservatives and Germany's Christian Democrats. I think this is completely wrong, and Trump and Trumpism need to be repudiated.

Comments

• For those of you who are interested, I spent the last couple of days sifting through Joe Biden's many, many plans and summarized the most important ones in an article for Atlantic Sentinel: "What Joe Biden Wants".

Bottom line: it's a lot more left-wing than you might expect from an alleged centrist. If elected, with a Senate majority, Biden could become the most progressive American president since FDR.

• As an American, It's easy to become disillusioned with the state which the nation has devolved. The Republican Party, I fear, has finally shed the pretense of respectful conservatism for pure fear-driven fascism.

The Democrats are almost equally discordant with the burgeoning schism between far left progressives driven by Antifa protests and cancel culture censorship, and mild picket fence democrats.

Social Media only amplifies these divisions. I feel that we are approaching a new Dark Age similar to what Issac Asimov described in the original Foundation Trilogy.

I wonder if the United States will devolve into leftist controlled city-states surrounded by a vast Trumpist Alt-Right expanse.

• I agree, it's hard to be optimistic for those of us in the middle.

I would add that the identitarian far left and nationalist right feed off, and (perhaps unwittingly) reinforce, each other. The far left wants the Trump right as its enemy. That's what they think all "conservatives" are. The Trumpists want to run against Antifa, cancel culture, etc. That's what they think "liberalism" leads to.

(I'm putting those terms in quotation marks, because what Trump represents isn't conservatism and Antifa and cancel culture are the opposite of liberal.)

This dynamic makes it harder and harder for people of good will to find common ground in the center.

• It seems Joe Biden is pulling ahead in all the swing states:

Trump is narrowly ahead in Iowa and Ohio as well as once solidly Republican Georgia and Texas. As recently as 2012, Democrats didn’t even campaign or spend money in Georgia and Texas.

• Frightening story in The Atlantic on how Trump could steal the election. It hinges on the election of the Electoral College, which is something I hinted at in a story for the Atlantic Sentinel, "What If Trump Refuses to Leave?" last month: If the popular vote count is disputed, for example, because Republicans are litigating to discard mailed-in ballots, Republican governors and state legislatures could simply appoint electors for Trump, regardless of how their states voted.

Arizona and Florida, for example, could vote for Biden, but they have Republican governors and Republican state legislatures.

Biden is ahead in the polls in Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Those states have Republican state legislatures but Democratic governors. There is a nightmare scenario in which those state legislatures appoint one slate of electors and the governors another. The decision would then be thrown to Congress. If Congress deadlocked, it would likely go to the Supreme Court - which is one reason Republicans are in a rush to fill Ruth Bader Ginsburg's seat.

• I wrote a story for my own blog, Atlantic Sentinel, about how Trump will try to steal the election.

It's a scary time for America.

• I’m glad I didn’t stay up late to watch the first presidential debate in real time. What an embarrassment.

Trump repeatedly interrupted. He showed no empathy for the families of the 200,000 Americans who have died of coronavirus. He lied about his taxes. He lied about his health-care plan, which is to overturn Obamacare in the courts and replace it with — nothing.

Worse, when asked to condemn white supremacists, Trump ominously told them to “stand by.” Asked if he would refrain from declaring victory until all the votes are counted, Trump urged his supporters to “go in to the polls and watch very carefully.”

• I elected to watch The Legend of Korra instead of the debate and by all accounts I made the sane, rational decision in doing so.

• Lol! Probably true. It was exhausting.

Two more to go...

I don't want to just complain about American politics, so I wrote another blog post with five suggestions for restoring/improving American democracy:

1. Abolish the Electoral College.
    2. Add states.
    3. Put Congress first.
    4. Make it easier to remove a president.
    5. Abolish the two parties. (Or rather: abolish their shared monopoly on power.)

Read it here.

• It's election day!

I'll be live-blogging the results at the Atlantic Sentinel tonight with a small group of contributors from Europe and the USA. Check it out.