Star Trek Discovery and Short Trek

(sorry, not sorry @Ottens :P)

The trailer for Star Trek Discovery season 3, I'm pretty excited to see where they take it, although I feel that taking it to a Federation less time is both dealing with the remarks of many that it was too unFederation and maybe a bit of a cop-out. I hope they don't go too much off franchise!

I am glad to hear they are going to continue their shorts, but with the crew of the Enterprise. I would like to see more of them.

Comments

• I'm willing to give it another chance.

The tone and style of Discovery may actually suit a future in which the Federation doesn't exist anymore.

• I am definitely going to watch it.

You should probably finish all of season 2 before you delve into season 3 though :P

• I don't know, it looks like Season 3 will start a new storyline?

I did read all the episode descriptions.

• Well if needs be you can always ask me to explain stuff to you :)

• I think this is a case of "the less you know" ?

• Yeah well, wait and see! :)

• October 16th, hell to the yes! (or is it October 18? Not long now in any case!)

I am pondering holding off 'till the entire season is online though.

• Watched the first episode of Season 3 of Discovery, which is streaming on Netflix.

Not bad.

The far-into-the-future setting works better with the aesthetic of the series, which was one of my main issues with the first two seasons. (Which were supposed to take place a decade before The Original Series and yet looked more futuristic than Deep Space Nine and Voyager.)

The collapse-of-the-Federation narrative works better with the tone of the series, which is about rebellion, the underdogs, liberation, the historically marginalized claiming their place, etc. This didn't make sense when the series was about Starfleet officers serving in a powerful Federation. Discovery "solved" this problem by making Starfleet leaders the bad guys. That might have rhymed with our current political climate, but it never made sense in terms of Star Trek history.

So, I'm slightly optimistic. Let's see how it goes.

• Three episodes in, but I haven't found the motivation yet to watch the rest. More interesting things to watch (The Crown, Fargo). It's not that these latest episodes of Discovery are bad so much as they are bland.