Art Nouveau living

Share Art Nouveau homes and home décor here!

Comments

• From the Financial Times:

Nancy, in eastern France, was the heart of Art Nouveau, the movement of swirling tendrils, budding flowers, stained glass and wilting women. And the Villa Majorelle was its epicentre, a beautiful domestic laboratory of ideas about architecture, furniture, craft and nature.

The house has just reopened after a much-needed restoration — and decades as a highways department office. It is an exemplar of one of design’s most charismatic periods.

The eccentric Villa Majorelle in Nancy; the French city was a laboratory for Art Nouveau (Philippe Caron)

The living room, where the theme is the forest: furniture and mouldings are carved with pine cones and the upholstery features a fine pattern of cones and needles (MEN/Siméon Levaillant)

The main staircase, an example of the villa’s ‘rich, seductive planes and volumes’ (MEN/Siméon Levaillant)

The dining room’s painted panels and stained glass depict a rural idyll and the fireplace resembles a tree growing out of the floor (MEN/Siméon Levaillant)

• edited May 6

I wrote a tour of Modernisme (which is the Catalan version of Art Nouveau) architecture in Barcelona for Never Was last year.

Here are my favorites:

Casa Amatller and Casa Batlló, September 23, 2013 (ChristianSchd)

Interior view of Casa Batlló, November 25, 2012 (Kah-Wai Lin)

Garden of the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, September 17, 2013 (Sant Pau Recinte Modernista)

Click here for more.

• Great entry, thank you for this virtual tour. Never been to Barcelona.

• It's a great place to visit!

Usually it's too crowded during the summer and the best time would be in the May or September, October, when it's already or still kinda warm outside but not hot and there aren't too many tourists.

• Are these in Oslo?

• All of these are from Bergen. We don't have many of these here compared to other Norwegian cities, because there was a serious decline of building activity from 1899. Then there was the big city fire in 1916, and when building activity resumed styles had changed.

• I like the style. Not overly ornamental, which can become a mess if you have too many of those.

• It may have something to do with German influence, since many Norwegian architects was educated there. I have even discovered a few Craftsman houses, which was the American architectural branch of the Arts & Crafts movement.

• Maybe inspired by Nordic émigrées to the United States?

• I'm trying to figure out the exact story of the Craftsman houses. None of them are mentioned in the literature, only a few still exists, and they have been changed to an almost unrecognizable form.

Here are some pictures from Kalfarlien 18, built in 1909:

• Very cool! This reminds me of some of the buildings here in Barcelona, with enclosed cast-iron balconies on the first floor.

Here's an example:

• Not really home decor, but these machines were made betwen 1900 and 1920, when aesthetics were still a part of the industrial environment. The pictures were taken at Salhus Tricotagefabrikk, today The Norwegian Knitting Industry Museum.

• I like it. I like Art Deco too!

• The MiM: Musical Instrument Museum, in Brussels, Belgium

It still looks pretty Art Nouveau on the inside, too :)