Flying aircraft carriers

edited April 2020 in Diesel
One of the genre tropes I'm working on is flying aircraft carriers.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for artwork, stories, movies or video games to include.

So far, I have:

- SHIELD's Helicarrier
- Cloudbase from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
- The Valiant from Dr Who
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (of course!)
- Castle Wulfenbach from Girl Genius

Comments

• This may not fit exactly with what you're going for, but have you heard of the ekranoplan or ground effect vehicle? The Soviets toyed with them during the 60s. They were essentially low flying ships that flew roughly 6ft from the water by floating on a cushi on of high pressure air generated by its stubby wings. The most famous of them was the Caspian Sea Monster, which was destroyed in the 1980s. While there was not an aircraft carrier variant produced, there might have been if the Soviets had continued their research.
  • I remember the Caspian Sea Monster, yes! Maybe I should do a post on ground-effect vehicles. To be honest, I've never really looked into it, but a quick Google search turns up some crazy pictures.
  • I've always found it interesting to look into old military designs of machines that were never built or never made it past the prototype stage. I also haven't done a ton of research into ekranoplans, but they could be quite interesting.
  • I'm putting it on my (very long!) to-do list.

I'm sure old issues of Popular Science and Modern Mechanix will have some even more outlandish proposals. Should make for a good atompunk entry. Thanks!
  • Yeah. Sorry for not contributing to the original post all that much, you've already got all the ones I can think of listed.
  • No worries! You've given me another good idea :)
  • The flying aircraft carriers story is now online!

owegner, in case you missed it, I also wrote an article about Strange Aircraft of the Soviet Union a couple of months ago that includes the ekranoplan.
  • edited April 2020

Added the "Airwing" to this story, designed by Horace Chapman Young and Eric Langlands as a passenger ship and flying aircraft carrier:

• I can think of a few but they're steam rather than diesel.

• That's fine! The genre tropes entries aren't limited to one genre. If there are instances of flying aircraft carriers in steampunk I overlooked, I may want to add them, so please let me know!

• edited May 2020

That big weird zeppelin hot air balloon vessel from The Mummy Returns.

Aeroflorale by Compagnie La Machine (they still tour with it if I'm not mistaken).

The Aetherships of Treasure Planet

The Goliath and The Tiger Moth from Laputa Castle in the Sky

The unnamed military aircraft carrier from Beyond Aukfontein.

• Excellent! Thank you so much. Adding this to my to-do list.

• Don't forget about USS Akron and Macon, they were real!

• edited May 2020

Added reference to the Akron and Macon, with cutaway:

The airship from Treasure Planet will go into a future entry about flying galleys, which will also include the airships from The Three Musketeers (2011).

I added the Goliath and Tiger Moth to the "Airships of War" trope.

I don't think anybody has made an image of the airship from Beyond Aukfontein?

• The Tiger Moth is the air pirate ship though, so I'm not sure in how far that's a war vessel?

I don't think so, it was an old military aircraft carrier, but you know, it's an obscure book as is, so I think it's existance is limited to the pages of the book.

• True, but since I included the Goliath there, I thought it made sense to mention the Tiger Moth in the same place.

• The King ZsaZsa from Drifting Dragons (at least I think it's spelled that way, I may be wrong).

• Ok so it's not letting me edit my previous comment, so here's the correct spelling: The Queen Zaza (yeah I totally misheard that in the anime!).

• @Hilde, editing comments should work again! Sorry for the interruption. I'm almost done with the design.