Webley Revolvers

It stands to reason that people were bound to switch over to the famous automag pistols after the war. I Have to ask though. Where did all the great revolvers go? Dad prefers them, Grandad carried one his whole life. I just wonder where the most unsung of them al got to. The Webley .455 Revolver. Igenous in it's design, simple, never jams, easy to repair... I just wonder where they all went.

Aside from auction houses.

Comments

• I would like to know where you're going with this line of thought, pilgrim, before I answer it. Do you want to know what happened to it in the post-war era? If that is the case then there are probably a few people here who can give you an answer. If you want to know how to get one on the civilian market then there are a couple of people here who can tell you how to get one. But before I can give you an answer I need to know where you're going with this one.
  • I have never seen a Webley 455 revolver. Odd since I have been to many gun shows (Tulsa, Houston, Orange County CA, etc.). I probably was not paying close enough attention. I am rather partial to revolvers, especially the Italian Uberti Colt P replicas and the Ruger Blackhawk.
  • I've seen a total of perhaps 3 Webley revolvers in my time, mostly on consignment, or in a Cabela's Gun Library ranging in prices between “Really, that much? What's wrong with it?” to “Ya know, the kid can always go to a trade school”. I never bought one though, either I couldn't afford it, or I didn't want to hunt down .455 Webley ammo, or getting it chambered in .45 Auto Rim seemed like an expensive proposition.

I have one of those Uberti replicas, they're good revolvers, only had to have it serviced once when the mainspring went weak and a screw kept coming lose. One of these days I might have more work done on it, like a coiled mainspring instead of a flat one, improve the timing things like that.
  • I've just been reading the Johannes Cabal novels - a Webbley is his weapon of choice, being able even to slow down an Old One, apparently, although I wouldn't like to put that to the test.