The Code

There was a color code developed in the early 1920s by the Radio Manufacturer's Association that puts bands on resistors, capacitors, inductors, and the like to replace numerical text on electronics. It was to make identification easier, but I think it would be a really fun way to send messages to people! I know it is silly, but I have always loved puzzles and this color system would make for a great cryptogram.

0 - black
1 - brown
2 - red
3 - orange
4 - yellow
5 - green
6 - blue
7 - violet
8 - grey
9 - white

There is even a humorously crude mnemonic to help remember it : Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden

I thought it might be a good story quirk or something. I hope people have fun with it!

Comments

• Hehe :D This is fun. What a novel idea!
    There is even a humorously crude mnemonic to help remember it : Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden
    Oy! :O
  • It is the coding system that is still used to this day, so there may be a keen handful of people able to decipher it too! I was thinking of a story that involve a type of "electrical moon-shining". WWI creates a world paranoid that new technology will destroy humanity and scientific advancement of electrical nature is prohibited. Scientists have to invent and discover in a secret, criminal underworld. Etc. Sort of a steam/diesel/cyber fusion thing.
  • Oh yes, the good old ROYGBV resistance code!

Interestingly, I learned the pnemonic as "...But Violet Gives Willingly."
  • It's true that the one I learned leaves out white for some reason...
  • I think white is left out because most resistors are white or nearly so.

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Resistor_Codes