Avatar: The Last Airbender sequel!

Yes, it's confirmed by now. For those of you unaware, Avatar: The Last Airbender is getting a sequel series, greenlite by Nickelodeon with the same creators attached as the first. No M. Night, thank goodness.

For the uninitiated, Avatar was about well, the last airbender. Bending referred to martial arts utilizing one of four elements to fight. In the series, one of the four existing nations had attacked and taken control of most of the world. The four nations of course were element specfic-Earth Nation, Fire Nation, etc.Dystopian-type anime influenced martial art fighty goodness.

I don't know exactly how this occurred, but the new series takes place with the daughter of Aang (if you're a fan, I don't need to tell you who the mother is) who is the new Avatar. Which brings to mind several questions, including: does this mean that all Avatars are related? That being an avatar is heritable? There are several things unexplained as of yet, and I understand why "daughter of previous main character" would be a good angle to start from, but isn't it a bit cliche? Anyhow.

One of the creators said they took influence from 20s and 30s Shanghai and Hong Kong. So eseentially the series should have a sort of retro-future look to it if I understand correctly, with bending being part of the story. Sort of magic vs. technology. I think it'll be good.

This is the only media I could find right now but since it's a pretty new development and I'm sure they're working on concept art I'm not really surprised. "The Legend of Korra" as it's referred to tentatively, should premiere sometime next year.
Link to an interview with co-creator Michael DiMartino:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/07/21/legend-of-korra-the-creators-of-avatar-the-last-airbender-on-the-new-spinoff/

Comments

• KinichAhau wrote:
    One of the creators said they took influence from 20s and 30s Shanghai and Hong Kong. So eseentially the series should have a sort of retro-future look to it if I understand correctly, with bending being part of the story. Sort of magic vs. technology. I think it'll be good.
    If that's so, I'll move this to the Cafe ;)
  • I don't know exactly how this occurred, but the new series takes place with the daughter of Aang (if you're a fan, I don't need to tell you who the mother is) who is the new Avatar. Which brings to mind several questions, including: does this mean that all Avatars are related? That being an avatar is heritable? There are several things unexplained as of yet, and I understand why "daughter of previous main character" would be a good angle to start from, but isn't it a bit cliche? Anyhow.
    According to the information so far, Korra is not related top Aang but studies airbending under his son. I highly doubt they would go with the family options for the avatars, the reincarnation aspect and sheer practicality speaks against it.

That said, I'm excited. Avatar is a fascinating take on both fantasy and eastasian themed steampunk
  • Huh. I stand corrected-thank you. I wasn't sure about that angle either. So I'm glad that I was incorrect.