Miley Cyrus's Can't be Tamed: When Disney's Singers go dieselpunk

First thing first, i present that by scientific interest only. Its basicly Miley Cyrus believing she Brithney Spears, but still, in the strict cinematographic sens, its a very good dieselpunk story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSG6z_13-Q

Comments

• Hmmm, I saw this video a few weeks ago, but even the second time around I don't think it is particularly dieselpunk. Much more so is the new Lady Gaga video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqrrmev4mA

And I definitely agree with whatever blogger suggested that if you wanted to get smashed really quickly, drink every time you see a ridiculous fetish portrayed in one of Lady Gaga's music videos. I could have finished a bottle of wine by now.
  • I've not seen the new Gaga clip yet, but I have seen the Miley Cyrus one, and I fail to see what's steam or diesel about it.
    Goth influences, now that far I'll go. But 'punk? No, sorry, I don't see that.
  • Hmm... well, there's the costuming, for one thing. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, though strictly speaking, it's not dieselpunk. It could easily have been though.

The Lady Gaga clip seems more like it though. Dieselpunk-ish in a dark, Piecraftian sort of way. Quite interesting.
  • '' What Dieselpunk with that ?''

Well...the bourgeois in the beginning was quite 1960's-ish...and you can hardly say than the setting change because the initial clues disapear.

But yeah, longly hesitated before give it the stamp. I was fanstaming on a disney steampunk clip for too long i suppose...
  • I'm glad you posted it though. It's certainly got nostalgic elements and the opening scenes, I agree, could easily have been part of a dieselpunk clip.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank Ottens.

BTW, sorry to threadjack my own thread but since some time i grow curious about the true popularity of the so call (by myself ^^) Disney's singers. In Quebec, probably thank to law for the protection of the french language, they completely absent of local radio channel, but what about american or any no-french canadian one ? Do the like of Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus,Emily Osment or Demi Devato clog the radio of the states or any out-quebec territory the same way than others artist like Lady Gaga clog quebecer one ?
  • There's goggles in it... must be steampunk.
  • Chicar wrote:
    Thank Ottens.

BTW, sorry to threadjack my own thread but since some time i grow curious about the true popularity of the so call (by myself ^^) Disney's singers. In Quebec, probably thank to law for the protection of the french language, they completely absent of local radio channel, but what about american or any no-french canadian one ? Do the like of Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus,Emily Osment or Demi Devato clog the radio of the states or any out-quebec territory the same way than others artist like Lady Gaga clog quebecer one ?
    Well I want to attribute it to those stations lacking Metal and/or Outlaw Country, hence my confusion about these singers, I've heard Miley Cyrus in the past if only that I get the Disney Channel. And I can't recall much of what I've heard there because all I could think was "Damned shame her daddy is forever labeled with that Achey-Breaky song, because he's actually pretty good."

But the only thing I can tell you as to why they seem to be on their waves is because they sell. For the love of Crom I can't tell you why Lady Ga-Ga sells so well, from what I've heard she's making a living pretending she can't carry a tune in a bucket, but she seems to be passing herself off as some Victorian freak show through her since of, and I use this term loosely, fashion. As for Miley and the other Disney singers I think the case is, and this is my ill-informed opinion here, squeaky clean image. As far as I know they aren't scandal sheet celebrities yet, so mama doesn't mind buying a Miley CD for her young daughter. That might change in a couple of years, but in the mean time.

Bear in mind I'm horribly ill-informed as to why they sell, but they're on the airwaves because they sell. The more they sell, the more the station can get for ad time. The money talks and what it says is "Oi, play this!"
  • For the love of Crom
    :D
  • Chicar wrote:
    '' What Dieselpunk with that ?''

Well...the bourgeois in the beginning was quite 1960's-ish...and you can hardly say than the setting change because the initial clues disapear.

But yeah, longly hesitated before give it the stamp. I was fanstaming on a disney steampunk clip for too long i suppose...
    But there's an entire Disney Steampunk MOVIE! Just watch Treasure Planet :)
    And if you really want to look at dieselpunk Disney, take Launchpad McQuack from Ducktales, he's pretty diesel :) (of course Ductales in itself isn't Diesel at all, it's just that one character).
  • Chicar wrote:
    Thank Ottens.

Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus and on occassion the Jonas Brothers are aired on Belgian music tv. The others we've thankfully been spared of so far. But seeing their shows are on the Belgian Disney Channel (and mostly dubbed too to make matters worse and the kids dumber), I'm assuming their popularity will increase steadily.
  • Colt: Do should get that as a yes ?:D Thank for your opinion but it take time to decypher your ''why'' answer to my ''yes or no'' question.
  • I do believe that Disney has it's own radio channel here in the wonderful U.S. of A, which, combined with the fact that it also has it's own television channel, usually spares us from having to listen to Miley Cyrus and her ilk. It doesn't save us from having to hear ABOUT them, however, and Lady Gaga is still all over the place. Now, as for the supposed diesel elements in this particular Miley Cyrus video, I doubt it's diesel so much as Miley Cyrus' popularity is waning as the people who bought her merchandise enter puberty (after all, I was only in 8th grade when she began to be popular, and now I'm about to graduate high school soon, so it's been a while, believe it or not). So she is trying to tap into what is (pardon my parlance) "hot" right now in American culture. So my initial reaction was that she was trying to mimic Lady Gaga with the darkness and weirdness of this video, a hypothesis I still maintain. I think the "diesel" elements we are seeing here are more a reference to "Mad Men", a show about the late 50's/early 60's that is currently quite popular here in the states, then any sort of acknowledged attempt to be diesel.

Also, while we're on the subject, I believe that Lady Gaga's popularity is based solely around her oddness, and the latent sexuality that laces her songs and videos. This is another case of the hardcore conservatives making everyone's life miserable in America, for now we have to put up with Lady Gaga, who is a "Gay rights icon" and thus that makes it suitably rebellious for teenagers to listen to her music and irk the religious right. I mean, she would be popular anyways, but that is the only reason why everyone seems to think she is so great and influential and groundbreaking, is because her songs are about having sex, like 95% of American pop, but unlike most of that 95%, her music is about having sex with people of the same gender. So it is "rebellious" or something like that.

Anyways, I do not know if I have answered your questions, but I do believe I have derailed your topic. Good day, kind sirs