The Umbrella Academy

Don't know if you're familiar with this but as it's one of my fave comic lines, I just got to share it with you ;)
Here we go:

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY - a fantastic comic somewhere between wicked pulp, diesel- and steampunk and tons of other influences (imo - at least)
Despite it's very colourful artwork it builds up a great noir-like atmosphere and is far from "just another superhero story" (again - imo).

So far two series (each consisting of six issues and already available as TPBs) were released and both are really, really amazing in both artwork and storytelling.
A third installement is planned for this year (happy-happy-joy-joy :D )
The members of the Umbrella Academy, a disbanded group of superheroes, reunite after the death of their adoptive father, "Sir Reginald Hargreeves". Hargreeves, an alien disguised as a famous entrepreneur, collected the members of the Umbrella Academy shortly after their birth (In an inexplicable worldwide event, forty-three extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who'd previously shown no signs of pregnancy) and trained them to save the world from an unspecified threat. After his death, the members carry on his plan to save the world.
The heroes - or better anti-heroes - are:

00.01 Spaceboy (Luther Hargreeves) His body is that of a gorilla’s and was transplanted after a failed expedition to Mars. His powers are enhanced physical strength and resilience.

00.02 The Kraken (Diego Hargreeves) The reckless and rebellious member of the group, described by The Monocle as “an insolent brat.” He has the ability to hold his breath indefinitely and has demonstrated a strong affinity for knife-throwing.

00.03 The Rumor (Allison Hargreeves) She has the ability to prevaricate, whatever she says becomes the truth.

00.04 The Séance (Klaus Hargreeves) Showcasing a fretful, morbid temperament. His powers are to contact the dead, levitate and telekinesis.

00.05 The Boy Disappeared at the age of ten and reappears in his childhood form 20 years into the future. (don't want to spoil here ;) )

00.06 The Horror (Ben Hargreeves) He possesses monsters under his skin from other dimensions. He is deceased, but no information regarding his death is given. There is a memorial statue of him located in the front of the Academy

00.07 The White Violin (Vanya Hargreeves) The most estranged member of the group, Vanya showcases no particular powers, other than an interest in music. Vanya is known to have written a book detailing her life with the Academy and her decision to leave
Once, the Umbrella Academy was unstoppable. Under the tutelage of their guardian and mentor, Dr. Reginald Hargreeves, its members spent their childhoods fighting evil and honing their extraordinary gifts.

Until something went terribly wrong.

Now, nine years later, the estranged members of the Umbrella Academy are reunited by the death of the only parent they've ever known and the rise of a new and terrible threat. Will they be able to overcome their history for long enough to save the world-one more time?
Here'S a bunch of pics:
umbrellaacademy.jpg
umbrellaacademyscanscan.jpg
umbacad5p2.jpg
rtod3fullf.jpg
umbrella20academy20apoc.jpg
safesound01g.jpg

Comments

• That sounds -- and looks! -- pretty amazing. I'm not sure about the plot though. Without giving away too much details, can you say if it's not too cliche?
  • The plot for the first series "Apocalypse Suite" is very far of cliche. Ok, it's about saving the world (once again ;) ) but the threat itself is sth never found in comics before.
    One of the "heroes" who was adopted by the rather cold and heartless mentor showed no signs of special powers in childhood times and left. Another member disappeared at the age of ten and was never seen.
    So far nothing totally unknown but when both characters return a weird story starts going dealing with time shifts and a mad force in form of the "Orchester der Verdammten" (orchestra of the damned) unleashes unearthly sounds creating a real bloodbath...

The characters are also very unusual showing a lot of personal dysfunctions and inner struggles.

I personally would say that everyone tired of the usual comic hero cliches should try this one - it's total unique, fresh and weird....

And with the last issue of series one titled "FINALE or Brothers and Sisters, I am an Atomic Bomb" I say you can't go wrong ;)

Previews of a few pages from each issue can be found here:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Browse/umbrella+academy/PpwNwkt8
  • I love the premise of some of the characters - the boy who disappears but reappears in his childhood from 20 years in the future, and the girl who prevaricates - brilliant!
  • ... the girl who prevaricates - brilliant!
    Yeah - that's my fave "special power" too :) Rumors becoming true is a great feat.
  • Didn't realise they were written by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. Makes more sense, now.
  • yes, indeed they are. I'm not a big fan of their music but he has a person seems nicely weird, intelligent and creative. (And they have done a nice steampunkish influenced video if I remember it right...)
  • A couple of the titles come from their songs. I'm not a fan (too poppy, emoey, gooey, and teen-girl focussed for me), but more power to him - apparently, he started them when he cleaned up and realised he had an extra 9 hours a day to do stuff in!
  • (too poppy, emoey, gooey, and teen-girl focussed for me)...
    Hehe, :D couldn't have said it better...

BS_NO_EMO_2.jpg
  • Well I'm interested :)
    When I have money I'll look into buying them.
    (after I buy other books higher on my to read list first mind)
  • I had heard of them before, but passed because of the author. I didn't figure anything particularly interesting could come from a teeny-bopper emo band. I suppose I'll have to reconsider, given this glowing review!
  • I was of your mindset, Col. Hazard, though I was willing to at least try it, since I kept hearing such high praise for it. Surprisingly, although I don't like my Chemical Romance, I did like the Umbrella Academy- it's surprisingly well-written and charming.
  • I guess if I had known the relation to MCR before getting it in my hands, I, too, wouldn't have give it a try.
    Luckily that didn't was the case :)