Decorating for a 1920s party

Hey everyone, I need some help! I'm co-hosting a 1920's speakeasy style party as a prelude to my college formal (the theme is "decades of the 20th century") and I need some decorating ideas! Unfortunately we're holding it in a terribly modern student center, so I need help figuring out how to make it look like a jazz-era bar on the cheap. We have a really small budget for this event, but I still want to try and spruce the place up a bit.

We're already going to be playing jazz music, serving cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, so I just need help with the visual side of things. Any ideas would really be appreciated!

Oh, I almost forgot, here's the poster I came up with:

20547_1284831815053_1657860316_1121942_5169978_n.jpg

Comments

• Love the poster artwork, Colonel! Decorating the place with posters might be a good and possibly cheap idea. Just the other day, I was in a little venue that had a bunch of old 1920s and 1930s posters all around the dance floor which, combined with some elegant lamps and mirrors, made for a very retro look.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what you can do on a small budget... I'm not sure what bars and clubs actually looked like in the '20s? Was their look distinctively different from similar vanues in the late '30s and '40s?
  • Oh! Here's a thought:

TF136_03_WH.jpg

Some tropical plants perhaps?
  • Oh, yes, that might work well! I have definitely seen those in the backgrounds of photos from the '20s. I will have to see if we can get some of those for decorating.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • I think Nick's right - lots of posters, mirrors and plants. Think shiny, think chrome. I would take a look at the beginning of Indy 3, and at Fat Sam's in Bugsy Malone for easy ideas.