Mad Men

Has anyone been watching this show?

They began broadcasting it over here last week and just last night I watched episode #2. It's set in the New York of the early '60s, focusing on people who work for a Madison Avenue advertising company. I'll just quote from wikipedia for a slightly more elaborate description:
Mad Men depicts parts of American society and culture of the early 1960s, highlighting cigarette smoking, drinking, sexism, adultery, homophobia, antisemitism, and racism as examples of how that era was so much different than the present. Smoking, far more common in 1960's United States than it is now, is featured throughout the series; almost every character can be seen smoking several times in the course of an episode. [...] The show presents a subculture in which men who are engaged or married frequently enter sexual relationships with other women.
It's fun, really!

Comments

• Is the whole set rather tongue-in-cheek or is it something along the lines of "look at the not so glorious generation after the war"?
  • Albrecht wrote:
    Is the whole set rather tongue-in-cheek or is it something along the lines of "look at the not so glorious generation after the war"?
    A combination of both, really.
  • I watch it, yeah. Here in America we've had more broadcast - and it stays every bit as slow moving but dramatic as the very first episode.
  • I've heard it's good, but I have yet to see it. I'll have to look up when it comes on television.
  • I occasionally dip into it, but missed the first half of the first series, so will have to play catch-up. We posted about it in the Emporium a while back.
  • We posted about it in the Emporium a while back.
    Really? Why, shame on me for not rememberin!
  • Ottens wrote:
    We posted about it in the Emporium a while back.
    Really? Why, shame on me for not rememberin!
    here you go! It was earlier this year.
  • I see. They began airing the series rather late over here then. Better late than never, I suppose.
  • I've watched parts of it, I quite like it. Too bad I always forget what time it starts X_x
  • Hello, all...posting for the first time here. I've been watching Mad Men since it premiered here in the U.S..It's a very good show. Try to stick with it if you find it slow-starting. The show develops very smartly!
  • Why, welcome, Manhattanite! Please, feel free to introduec yourself to all the rest of us!

Yes, the slow's a bit slow these first couple of episodes, but I don't mind it much. In fact, I rather like that it's not so fast paced as many other TV series these days. It suits the time and atmosphere after all.
  • Hello, Ottens! Sorry I'd missed the introductions thread. I've just posted there. Thanks!
  • Apparently the main characters from the show are being made into Barbie dolls by Mattel.
    Release should be this summer.

article, in Dutch alas

I'm sure that if you guys want to find out more about it in English you'll be able to do so via google.
  • I just brought the first series of Mad Men. I've never seen the show before and only have a poor grasp of what it's about, so it'll be an adventure if nothing else.