What happened to the Gaslight genre?

We're talking about steampunk and dieselpunk and various other -punks, subgenres/sub-subcultures and the like.
But a long time ago (as in the 1980s and 1990s) there was the "Gaslight" genre. What happened to that?
Somehow, I feel that "gaslight" would fit much steampunk better, because much steampunk isn't about steam, nor punk. Or should "Gaslight" be something completely different?

Comments

• What we call "steampunk" isn't more about gaslight than it is about steamp, so while "gaslight" does have a more romantic sound to it, I wouldn't want to propose it as a better name for the genre.

As for what happened to it--it didn't realize that it was ever a big thing to begin with?
  • To be honest when I hear gaslight I think of the victorian age. Whilst it would be a good way to describe the victorian steampunks for sure, I don't think it fits as a replacement term for the entire genre.
  • "Gaslight" was a genre?
  • I think "Gaslamp Fantasy" is how the people of Girl Genius call steampunk.
  • Indeed. I always thought that "Gaslight" was more or less a synonym for steampunk...
  • It's also a synonym for Victorian Age vampire. Which came to be after White Wolf Gamestudio released Vampire the Victorian Age, and then later the LARP book for it: Vampire by Gaslight.

Gaslight kindda stuck amongst Cammies and we still use it during the current game for elders who were born during the Victorian age, or Kindred (vampires) that never managed to shake it.
    My sisters character is very gaslight :)
  • There are, after "Vampire by Gaslight" more "... by Gaslight" tings, Chtulhu by Gaslight, for example. Mind yoy, this is about 10 years or more ago, and was more a niche than a genre. Steampunk hardly existed back then.
  • I quite enjoyed Gotham by Gaslight.
  • Yaghish wrote:
    There are, after "Vampire by Gaslight" more "... by Gaslight" tings, Chtulhu by Gaslight, for example. Mind yoy, this is about 10 years or more ago, and was more a niche than a genre. Steampunk hardly existed back then.
    I do't know that I would even have called it a niche 10 years ago. Back then, it was all just a big lump of whatever modern versions of Victorian-Edwardian Sci-Fi were called, whether Gaslight or Steampunk or Scientific Romances.
  • Cory wrote:
    I do't know that I would even have called it a niche 10 years ago.
    Well it was a niche you could only find ... by gaslight ;)