Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason

http://www.cryostasis-game.com/

Another new game I’ve come across from our friends in Russia. This one is a sort of survival-horror/first person shooter amalgam set in the far reaches of the Soviet Arctic in the mid-1960s. You play as Alexander Nesterov, a meteorologist stationed in a polar research station above the Arctic Circle whose resupply ship has been late for several weeks. After striking out alone on the ice, you eventually come across the resupply ship, a big ol’ Arctica-class nuclear icebreaker named the North Wind, frozen hard in the ice. Of course, you soon discover that the crew (and convict labor force being shipped to the Far East) have succumbed to the cold and gone a little…strange, so you have to fight them off while trying to avoid freezing to death.

Overall, it looks to be a pretty standard game (save for the temperature-based health system and the “mental echo” ability that allows you to go back in time and solve various puzzles), but if anyone likes Soviet machinery and weapons (predominantly WW2-era weapons like the PPSh 41 and older ones like the Mosin-Nagant, presumably in keeping with the Soviet Union’s policy of recycling obsolete weapons into low-priority and reserve military units), definitely give it a look.

Oh, and before I go, here’s a kickass trailer or two.

Comments

• Interesting, the diving footage from the second trailer looks like a laugh.
  • And some great concept art on display too! This looks like fun.
  • edited March 2009
    I’ve started watching a still-uncompleted video walkthrough for this game on Youtube, and man this game is creepy. It’s slow, it’s tense, it’s lonely, the ambient soundtrack is full of creepy metal noises, and every once and a while reality goes on holiday and you’re left to flounder.

Personally, I still can’t get over the little surprise in Level 8, where you finally make it inside the North Wind’s nuclear reactor and see something a little…amiss.

Level 8a, where you go back in time to see the ship’s reactor in operation.

Level 8b, where you see the reactor in the present.

And no, I don’t know who the guy in the parka is, but I’m sure he knows who’s responsible for everything.
  • The links say that the video is malformed, whatever that means...
  • edited March 2009
    Red Seven wrote:
    The links say that the video is malformed, whatever that means...
    It means I put a line break where no line break should have gone.

All better now.

Incidentally, I noticed that the interior of the reactor has a big number "4" painted on the wall. Given how this is a graphite-based reactor, I think this may be a subtle reference to Chernobyl.
  • I find the backstorys to those first-person shooter games always fascinating, unfortunately, they are not for me. I prefer strategy games and old arcade stuff (and Diablo).
  • My, my, this is looking pretty eerie indeed! I'm fascinated.
  • Found this:

Fruehjahrsputz_by_Theleria.jpg

By "Theleria".
  • Should that have possibly gone in the Pin Up thread?
  • Oh no I thought we could use a little distraction here. :P

But yes, wrong topic. Begging your pardon!
  • It was a fantastic distraction!
  • Finally played this a few months ago, and wrote a bit about it.

http://www.ferretbrain.com/articles/article-604

It's a bit of a bear on the graphics card, and it has some stability issues, but it's damned good, damned freaky, and has some of the best looking virtual winter I've ever seen (with the possible exception of Crysis, of course).

It also taught me a valuable lesson: In Soviet Russia, fourth wall breaks you. Play it and you'll see what I mean.